Old 03-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Large leaves

In a message dated 3/3/2003 1:28:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have just started the whole Bonsai thing and recently acquired a 17Y/o
Chinese Hackberry. My problem is I am getting very large leaves is this due
to not enough Sun?

Probably, but it could also be fertilizer and the need to prune.
First, watering. If there are rocks on the soil surface remove them
and fill the space with good potting soil. Now, put a wooden chop stick or
meat skewer in the soil about 1/2 way between the trunk of the tree and the
edge of the pot. Unless the stick is dry, don't water.
Second, light. My Chinese Hackberry stays outside in the central
Florida sun all year. I don't do Celsius well so I don't know 43 C but here
mid 90's F is common.
Third, many plants will develop large leaves if allowed to do so. The
secret is frequent tip pruning. Once a branch has three sets of leaves cut
off the tip. On most plants you must leave two sets of leaves. If you
notice the first set of leaves on a twig are not like the rest and may not
have buds at the base, but the second set will have buds.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++