Old 03-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Large leaves

Hi there,
I would like to post a question to the Group.
I have just started the whole Bonsai thing and recently

acquired a 17Y/o
Chinese Hackberry. My problem is I am getting very large leaves

is this due
to not enough Sun ? . as when I got it the leaves were allot

smaller. And I
am watering the plant everyday as well as spraying it with a

mist gun, I
live in a rather hot environment d the temperature can

sometimes reach 43deg
Celsius , so the water evaporates at a large rate ... am I

watering it
enough ?

Duncan,

It would be nice to know where you live. I assume from your
e-mail it's somewhere in southern Africa???

Anyway, Chinese hackberry (Celtis sinensis) tends to have larger
leaves than other hackberries. It should do fine outdoors in
full sun, through, since my books tell me it is a warmth-loving
plant. It probably will not thrive indoors. If you've had it in
the shade, that could make the new leaves enlarge.

Daily watering is probably too much. Only water when the soil
starts to feel dry. The only hackberry I grow is the native
species that grows around here -- with tiny leaves -- and it
doesn't _mind_ damp feet, but does not do well if the soil is
wet.

Did you repot? Fertilize?

This may be one of the trees that you will need to defoliate in
mid-growing season to get a flush of smaller leaves.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++