Old 06-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Martin Richards

Default Timber for building planters/raised beds?

Skimming the scary thread about the procedures for pressure treating timber
prompts me to ask something I've been pondering for a few days. I want to
build a planter/raised bed sort of thingummy* at the side of the house to
liven up an area that's currently used for the bins and not much more. It
gets some sun at this time of year, but is pretty cool and damp the rest of
the time, so the timber's got to be able to put up with some less than ideal
conditions, even before it's full of soil.

Any thoughts on what to use, both wood-wise and as a treatment? I'd
wondered about using decking or something similar simply for the ease of
obtaining it, though I confess I've not got as far as a detailed
investigation of B&Q, let alone the local timber merchants to see what the
options are. I'd also wondered about lining the planter with plastic to
protect the wood from the soil, but it sounds like it might also be good for
protecting the soil from the wood!

Cheers,

Martin.

* the space is between two houses, perhaps 2m wide reducing to 1.5m over 4m
or so, so I figure with the rubble and foundations that must be under there,
just lifting the slabs and digging a bed is going to be a non-starter.
Also, I want to plant "against" next door's wall, so obviously I don't want
to pile up soil over their damp proof course ;-)