Old 06-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Martin Richards

Default Timber for building planters/raised beds?

Skimming the scary thread about the procedures for pressure treating timber
prompts me to ask something I've been pondering for a few days. I want to
build a planter/raised bed sort of thingummy* at the side of the house to
liven up an area that's currently used for the bins and not much more. It
gets some sun at this time of year, but is pretty cool and damp the rest of
the time, so the timber's got to be able to put up with some less than ideal
conditions, even before it's full of soil.

Any thoughts on what to use, both wood-wise and as a treatment? I'd
wondered about using decking or something similar simply for the ease of
obtaining it, though I confess I've not got as far as a detailed
investigation of B&Q, let alone the local timber merchants to see what the
options are. I'd also wondered about lining the planter with plastic to
protect the wood from the soil, but it sounds like it might also be good for
protecting the soil from the wood!

Cheers,

Martin.

* the space is between two houses, perhaps 2m wide reducing to 1.5m over 4m
or so, so I figure with the rubble and foundations that must be under there,
just lifting the slabs and digging a bed is going to be a non-starter.
Also, I want to plant "against" next door's wall, so obviously I don't want
to pile up soil over their damp proof course ;-)

Old 06-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Laurian

"Martin Richards" wrote in message
[...]

The timber yard I work at offers three treatments of which only one would
probably be suitable. The CCA (Chrome, Copper, Arsenic) is most definately
not something I would want anywhere near my garden. There is a VAC-VAC
treatment which is spirit based which may be safe but offers little long
term protection - it just kills anything in the wood and then evaporates.
The one that may be suitable is AC500 which is a copper-chrome treatment.
We had it installed because CCA is outlawed next year. We have a playground
company that buys from us because the treatment is supposedly safe for wood
licking/chewing kids so it is likely to be safe for plants. Check with
whatever supplier you intend to buy from as to what treatment has been
used. If they don't know find another supplier. They may say pressure
treated ask what type, all treatmens are done under vacuum/pressure

Old 06-06-2003, 08:56 PM
IntarsiaCo

. I'd also wondered about lining the planter with plastic

Consider contacting a firm that specializes in water gardens. They may sell
you, for a nominal fee, a suitable piece of EPDM pond liner.
As for the timbers, I don't know what is currently available in Britain but
sweet chestnut or cedar might prove to be suitable.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Laurian

As for the timbers, I don't know what is currently available in Britain
but
sweet chestnut or cedar might prove to be suitable.

Cedar would probably be suitable but it can be fragile as it is a fairly
soft wood. Be prepared to shell out the readies for it as well.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Laurian

[...]

Just remembered, we make plant pots to sell in the shop from rejected
decking and this is treated with AC500. They sell pretty well so this is a
good indication that it's suitable.

Old 09-06-2003, 06:32 AM
bnd777

You could aquire some pallets and simply use the 4"by 2" lengths of timber
they provide for free
It will take quite a few years before they rot away and theres nothing to
stop you treating the outside with the new Creosote replacement or similar

Old 09-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Chris Norton

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 19:29:13 +0000 (UTC), "Laurian"
wrote:

The timber yard I work at offers three treatments of which only one would
probably be suitable. The CCA (Chrome, Copper, Arsenic) is most definately
not something I would want anywhere near my garden. There is a VAC-VAC
treatment which is spirit based which may be safe but offers little long
term protection - it just kills anything in the wood and then evaporates.
The one that may be suitable is AC500 which is a copper-chrome treatment.
We had it installed because CCA is outlawed next year. We have a playground
company that buys from us because the treatment is supposedly safe for wood
licking/chewing kids so it is likely to be safe for plants. Check with
whatever supplier you intend to buy from as to what treatment has been
used. If they don't know find another supplier. They may say pressure
treated ask what type, all treatmens are done under vacuum/pressure

The Vac Vac is not for use in ground contact if you read all the bumbf
on the stuff. Does`nt do anything against the rot which is the prob
here. I personally hav`nt seen any details about the new treatments
which would be professionally interesting for me to see the details.
Have you the manufacturers name so I can go find em?