Old 06-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Kelly and Sandy

Default Hand-hammered Scythe Blades in the UK

Dear uk.rec.gardening,

Last year I was given a brand new scythe (from Lehmans Non-Electric
Store in Ohio, USA, together with "The Scythe Book" by David Tresemer
and Peter Vido, ISBN 0-911469-19-2). I have since learnt to use my
scythe, and keep it sharp, and use it practically every day around our
organic food gardens. It's a wonderful tool.

The blade is a beautifully crafted 24-inch Marugg hand hammered
scythe blade. This size is general purpose, and will do hacking of
small saplings as well as for mowing crops.

I would like to get another blade. For heavy hacking down of
undergrowth around our farmstead.

- - -

Is there a place in Britain where I can get European-style hand-
hammered blades? (I'm NOT talking about the factory made riveted kind!)

With kind regards,

Sandy
--
Sandy Anderson
(Yorkshire, England)

Where there is no vision, the people perish.