Old 06-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Larry Stoter

Default Do foxes eat snails?

Jay wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Jay
writes
"Paul Richards" wrote in message
We have an abundance of both in this area so I was just wondering...

No - And to make matters worse they eat chickens and ducks who do eat

slugs
and snails ;~|

Err, actually the answer is yes. They do eat both slugs and snails,
though among invertebrates, earthworms are eaten much more.

Oh sorry - are they efficient at it? -I bet they're not as good as my
chickens!

Jay

We have neither Foxes nor Hens but we do have a lot of frogs and toads
which, together, seem to be very effective at removing slugs and snails.

So much so that my wife is even managing to grow hostas without
difficulty - previously, I have always assumed that anybody with
reasonable hostas is a chemical warfare merchant but I am now persuaded
that with sufficient 'natural' controls, it is possible to grow hostas
(personally, I still find them very boring plants ... :-)
--
Larry Stoter