Old 03-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default crown rot -- please advise!

Tanya writes:
a lower leaf had yellowed (physiologically) and 7 days ago i tried to
remove the rest of the leaf (this i believe contributed to it)
yesterday noted a pale leaf which fell off... (was bagged due to broken
humidifier) took out of its pot lost another leaf...

I have poor experience with any kind of closed plastic bags. Every
time I have used something like that, mold and rot pops up almost
immediately, almost as if I had the plant in an overly humid, cold
environment without air circulation.

I have a phal with a lot of foilage that has lost most of its
roots. Since bagging them only has the effect of making it easier to
throw the thing out later, I have potted it in a fine media and given
it about 2-5klux of light, with frequent misting and a steady
airflow. It seems to hold up better than it would have in a bag. I am
going to lose another leaf, but there are the inklings of new root
bumps on the plant.

Geir