Old 07-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Malcolm

Default Rachel de Thame and national collections

In article , Kay Easton
writes
TV tonight - Rachel de Thame
'a national Collection is a collection of a single *species*' ... then
almost in the same breath 'the National collection of Crocus' ... so all
crocus are the same species, are they?

Is this TV dumbing down and protecting its viewers from difficult words
like 'genus' which they don't understand?
It surely can't be Rachel de T herself who doesn't understand the
difference?

This sort of thing does get me cross!

In one of the earlier programmes in the series, she visited the new
Yorkshire RHS garden and both she and one of the gardeners there used
the name Mare's Tail when looking at a border full of Horsetail and
saying that it would have to be eradicated by spraying. OK, Equisetum
is, sometimes, called Mare's Tail, though I'm not alone in thinking it
shouldn't be, but the error was doubly confounded by the entry in the
Radio Times which not only mentioned that they would discuss a problem
with Mare's Tail but used the Latin name Hippuris vulgaris :-(

If only all my Horsetail could be replaced by Mare's Tail.....!

--
Malcolm