Old 07-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Latent incompatibility

At 07:02 AM 6/7/03 -0400, William Valavanis wrote:

Bill

Thanks for replying, I knew you would have some cogent remarks.

...As far
as I know, the cutivar 'Zuisho' is not compatible with pines with two
needles per fascicle. In Japan 'Zuisho' is always grafted on to
seedlings of Japanese five-needle pine, NOT Japanese black pine. I have
tried this here in the US and found when Japanese black pine is used,
the resulting small plants die quickly, while plants grafted on to
seedlings of Eastern white pine, (Pinus strobus) grew fine. ...

Could you elucidate? What age are they failing? What is the nature of the
failure? Are the grafts taking, and then dying? Anything you can add would
be greatly appreciated.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++