Old 07-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Howard Neil

Default Hand-hammered Scythe Blades in the UK

KaS Is there a place in Britain where I can get
KaS European-style hand- hammered blades? (I'm NOT talking
KaS about the factory made riveted kind!)

Quite possibly a local blacksmith would be interested in taking on the
job - quite a few are very much into historical implements.

I'm afraid I don't know of a company that's still doing this as a main
concern, though.

I have a superb sickle with such a blade that I bought (at the Smallholders
Show) second-hand from Tools For Self Reliance Cymru (
http://www.tfsrcymru.co.uk/ )

They are a charity that collect old tools and send them to communities in
Africa. They sell some of the tools to raise revenue. If you can get to
Crickhowell or to any of the events that they attend, there is a very good
chance that you will find what you want.

Howard Neil