Old 08-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Penny Morgan

Default hydrangeas

Hydrangeas do best in well drained, acidic soil (under pines is good) in
morning sun and afternoon shade. If they're getting afternoon sun, that may
be the problem with the plants. It's too hot for them and will cause them
to brown up quickly. When you say on the west side of your house, I'm
assuming the hot sun is hitting them in the afternoon. Move them to an east
side and they should do much better with the afternoon shade.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"Harvey R. Stone" wrote in message
news
I have 3 hydrangeas on the west side of my house. I live in Houston , Tx
so
it is quite hot. One is a variegated leaf and the other 2 are just the
common ones,
There is a pine tree next to them. In all these years , maybe 4 or 5, they
have never bloomed properly. They get blooms but then they start turning
brown from the center of the bloom and that is it for the blooming. What

am
I doing wrong? Should I move them? They get some sun and of course it is
hot sun. What can I do to make these guys happier?
Phyl