Old 07-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Harvey R. Stone

Default hydrangeas

I have 3 hydrangeas on the west side of my house. I live in Houston , Tx so
it is quite hot. One is a variegated leaf and the other 2 are just the
common ones,
There is a pine tree next to them. In all these years , maybe 4 or 5, they
have never bloomed properly. They get blooms but then they start turning
brown from the center of the bloom and that is it for the blooming. What am
I doing wrong? Should I move them? They get some sun and of course it is
hot sun. What can I do to make these guys happier?
Phyl

Old 08-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Joe Morris

Phyl,

Hydrangeas are happier on the east side of your house. The morning sun is
perfect for them, but that afternoon Houston sun is probably scorching them,
especially if they are close to brick. You could try watering them more
before moving them.

Regards,

Joe Morris

Please remove ZAP to email me.

news

Old 08-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Penny Morgan

Hydrangeas do best in well drained, acidic soil (under pines is good) in
morning sun and afternoon shade. If they're getting afternoon sun, that may
be the problem with the plants. It's too hot for them and will cause them
to brown up quickly. When you say on the west side of your house, I'm
assuming the hot sun is hitting them in the afternoon. Move them to an east
side and they should do much better with the afternoon shade.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"Harvey R. Stone" wrote in message
news
I have 3 hydrangeas on the west side of my house. I live in Houston , Tx
so
it is quite hot. One is a variegated leaf and the other 2 are just the
common ones,
There is a pine tree next to them. In all these years , maybe 4 or 5, they
have never bloomed properly. They get blooms but then they start turning
brown from the center of the bloom and that is it for the blooming. What

am
I doing wrong? Should I move them? They get some sun and of course it is
hot sun. What can I do to make these guys happier?
Phyl

[IMG] code is On

hydrangeas Reba Gardening 3 30-05-2003 02:56 AM
Hydrangeas - purchase, info Kelly Garner North Carolina 4 13-05-2003 04:08 PM
Hydrangeas in Triangle BB North Carolina 2 06-05-2003 09:56 PM
Hydrangeas Ian Butler United Kingdom 20 22-02-2003 10:46 PM
Hydrangeas Jane Ransom United Kingdom 1 12-02-2003 08:36 PM