Old 08-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Pam

Default Are lilacs (impatiens) annuals or perennials?

Ablang wrote:

Also, if an annual is not supposed to last more than 1 year (season), what is
the point of planting and watering them if you are wasting your time?

I'm told that most vegetable plants will die in the fall season.

What vegetable plants are hardy enough to survive from year to year, despite
the season? I don't want to waste time planting & caring for things that will
die no matter what I do to them.

It is in the nature of many plants to complete their life cycle within one full
growing season. Fortunately, these are plants which tend to offer extended
blooming and season-long color or are the mainstay of our vegetable diet.
Generally, most folks don't consider annual plants to be a waste of time because
they offer so much in return for minimal effort and expense - it is what we call
"gardening". Heck - some folks even do it for a living - they are what we call
"farmers".

If you can't buy into this very natural process, take up another hobby that
doesn't involve living organisms.

pam - gardengal