Old 09-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Jan Flora

Default where do you use bone meal?

In article , Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Phisherman contains these words:

Bone meal is a good fertilizer for bulbs and tubers such as crocus,
tulips, hyacinth, iris, etc. Apply it after the blooms die.

Better buy it now, if the reports about BSE presence in the USA's
human food chain are accurate. Bonemeal use by gardeners was an early
casualty of BSE in the UK (steam sterilisation doesn't kill the prions).

Janet.

What have you heard about BSE in the states? We quit feeding commercially
made grain mixtures to our livestock, because of concerns about animal proteins
in the mix. And my SO told me to quit buying bonemeal for the garden.

Is dicalcium-phosphate derived from animal sources?

Jan