Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Tracy McDaniel

Default where do you use bone meal?

p u.
that stuff stinks.
My aunt told me it was "wonderful" and she uses it all the times (she has no
yard pets)...
apparently it will drive dogs mad.

Is this for acid loving soil or alkaline?

If you use it, please tell me where and why.

If you do not, please tell me why not?

I bought a bag and now don't know if I should spread it around my hostas,
lilies or ornamental fruit trees. Do evergreen shrubs (such as holly) like
it?

This leads me to another set of questions.
If yards (turf grass) need lime and azeleas and rhodo's need acid, what
happens to the grass around the azeleas when one applies mir-acid to shrubs?
Also, what is advantage of holly-tone over mir-acid?

Am I better off just driving to a local farm and picking up some dried
"natural cow fertilizer"? I see the disadvantage of this in receiving weeds
and corn seeds in my garden...then I'm back to using commercial weed-killer
such as Spectricide or Preen.

Let me know,
Thanks,
Tracy

Old 29-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Phisherman

Bone meal is a good fertilizer for bulbs and tubers such as crocus,
tulips, hyacinth, iris, etc. Apply it after the blooms die. Usually
bone meal should not be applied to acid-loving plants.

Grass/soil does not necessarily need lime, unless a pH test indicates
so.

Hollytone provides many trace elements and is a slow-release
fertilizer. Mir-Acid is fast-acting and short-lived. I found that it
is advantageous to use both fertilizers on azaleas, but not at the
same time. MirAcid to the grass will cause it to green up and grow
faster than the parts not getting the MirAcid.

Make sure the cow manure is well composted else it can burn out roots.
Topdress with a layer of cow manure, then top with an organic mulch to
prevent weed growth and conserve water. Azaleas have shallow root
systems and greatly benefit from a mulch.

Old 30-05-2003, 12:56 AM

On Thu, 29 May 2003 17:45:01 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

Bone meal is a good fertilizer for bulbs and tubers such as crocus,
tulips, hyacinth, iris, etc. Apply it after the blooms die. Usually
bone meal should not be applied to acid-loving plants.

Hmmm... I always used bone meal/blood meal for transplanting.
Anybody else?

--

Dissident

Old 30-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 29 May 2003 17:45:01 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

Bone meal is a good fertilizer for bulbs and tubers such as crocus,
tulips, hyacinth, iris, etc. Apply it after the blooms die. Usually
bone meal should not be applied to acid-loving plants.

I always add a spoonful of bone meal ('bulb food') to the bottom of
the hole when I plant bulbs, too. I stir it into the dirt a little and
put the bulb on top.
Old 30-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Phisherman contains these words:

Bone meal is a good fertilizer for bulbs and tubers such as crocus,
tulips, hyacinth, iris, etc. Apply it after the blooms die.

Better buy it now, if the reports about BSE presence in the USA's
human food chain are accurate. Bonemeal use by gardeners was an early
casualty of BSE in the UK (steam sterilisation doesn't kill the prions).

Janet.

Old 09-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Jan Flora

In article , Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Phisherman contains these words:

Bone meal is a good fertilizer for bulbs and tubers such as crocus,
tulips, hyacinth, iris, etc. Apply it after the blooms die.

Better buy it now, if the reports about BSE presence in the USA's
human food chain are accurate. Bonemeal use by gardeners was an early
casualty of BSE in the UK (steam sterilisation doesn't kill the prions).

Janet.

What have you heard about BSE in the states? We quit feeding commercially
made grain mixtures to our livestock, because of concerns about animal proteins
in the mix. And my SO told me to quit buying bonemeal for the garden.

Is dicalcium-phosphate derived from animal sources?

Jan
Old 10-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Jan Flora

In article , Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from (Jan Flora) contains these words:

wrote:

The message
from Phisherman contains these words:

Bone meal is a good fertilizer for bulbs and tubers such as crocus,
tulips, hyacinth, iris, etc. Apply it after the blooms die.

Better buy it now, if the reports about BSE presence in the USA's
human food chain are accurate. Bonemeal use by gardeners was an early
casualty of BSE in the UK (steam sterilisation doesn't kill the prions).

Janet.

What have you heard about BSE in the states?

IIRC, during a "veterinary comment" on BBC radio a week or two back,
when the case in Canada was being discussed. Words to the effect of "Now
BSE has been found in Canada, it's almost certainly present in the USA
also".

That's what I'm afraid of. They found that BSE cow in Alberta in January and
took 90 days to report it to the world. This worries us... The cattle with
Johne's
disease we bought all came from Alberta in the last 2 years. We didn't
have Johne's
in Alaska before that. (It's like Crohn's in people. You sh*t yourself to
death, but
it takes a couple of years...)

Canadian ranchers have a close relationship to UK breeders. We *all* need
to close
our borders for awhile and get a grip on our diseases, in closed herds.
_Then_ we can
breeds. We want
to be able to buy disease-free stock, or at least semen, from the UK.
British breeds
thrive in Alaska. Continental breeds wither away and die, due to our
rigorous climate.
One of our neighbor ranchers even has Scottish Highlands. They look like
yaks and they
just thrive up here. Underneath all of that hair and horns is a hell of a
beef carcass.
And the grizzly bears don't like to fight them. They kill big bears. *g*)

We quit feeding commercially
made grain mixtures to our livestock, because of concerns about animal
proteins
in the mix. And my SO told me to quit buying bonemeal for the garden.

Is dicalcium-phosphate derived from animal sources?

No idea. For lime-loving plants, I use crushed seashells.

I looked di-cal up on the web. It's made from degreased, crushed cow bones.
I have some 10# that I bought to give to a specific animal, that's old
enough that
it shouldn't be infected. (Bought even before the UK BSE disaster.) From
what I found
on the web, they can't guarentee that BSE isn't present in di-cal, even though
they use hydrochloric acid in the processing.

How do you crush your seashells?? We have a midden under my bird feeders.
Every time we go clamming and eat the clams, I throw the shells under my
feeders,
so the birds can pick out the tiny bits of meat left. (They love it.)

Janet.

I failed to gather any seaweed from our beaches this winter for my garden.
It's amazing (to me) how much good stuff for a garden can come from the sea.

I have to go down to the beach to find a big driftwood log for my new
shade garden,
for a garden bench.

Jan
Old 11-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Andrew Ostrander

Both your postings are inaccurate and unfair.
The dead cow apparently had pneumonia when it was killed.
There was no indication of BSE at that time.
The brain was eventually examined, and after abnormalities were
found there, the investigation and reporting proceeded as fast as they
would in the USA.

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from (Jan Flora) contains these words:

That's what I'm afraid of. They found that BSE cow in Alberta in January

and
took 90 days to report it to the world. This worries us...

Quite; you'd hardly think anyone could be so stupid after watching
what happened in the UK.

I looked di-cal up on the web. It's made from degreased, crushed cow

bones.

Sounds like the kind of delicacy that used to be included in animal
feeds :-(

How do you crush your seashells??

I let the sea/rocks do that and just collect it from the beach ready

made.

I failed to gather any seaweed from our beaches this winter for my

garden.
It's amazing (to me) how much good stuff for a garden can come from the

sea.

Me too; you should see our potatoes this year, grown in/on/under
seaweed. Since moving here we've spent many happy hours beach walking
and salvaging all kinds of useful washed-up junk from fish baskets to
lengths of rope. John found a fleece hat which he wears :-(, and the dog
has found three balls and a plastic duck which she plays with all the
time.

The nearest shop is right beside the beach so when I pick up the milk
and paper I collect a few nice stones in my pockets. The rest of the
trip is spent calculating how many years/pocketsfull it will take to
make pebble paths round the veg garden.

Janet.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Jan Flora

We are relying on the news reporting services of the world to tell us
what's going on. CNN has a report about the BSE cow in Alberta today,
but my FIL would NOT shut up long enough for me to listen to it.

It doesn't take 120 days to look at the brain and figure out if the animal
had BSE. (I'm a rancher. Go bullshit the troops, son.)

Is Canada routinely examining the brain of every cow they kill? The US
certainly doesn't. Only suspected cases are examined.

Jan