Old 09-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Allen Lai

Default To cut or not to cut ....

It is a beautiful tree, I really have to think hard and do some research
before I act...but thanks for the advise....

"Peter H" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

"Allen Lai" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
Hi Guys,

I got a maple tree at my back yard, actually, I got two, but one is

growing
taller and taller, don't think my neighbour like me much cause it block

all
the sun in their yard... can I cut it down from the the top... ie , the

tree
is now, may be 40 feet tall, can I cut the top 10 feet down and trim the
middle ? I am in southern Ontario...and when is the best time to cut ?

Thanks in advance....

Al. : (

You can prune a maple tree but....... Whenever you cut the limb off a tree
you are leaving it open to infection and disease. You really should read

up
on the subject a bit before attempting it. The best time to do so would be
in the winter, when the sap isn't running. It can be done in the summer,

but
would be slightly harder on the tree. Late summer and fall are pruning
stimulate new growth, which may not get a chance to " harden off " before
winter and should be avoided as well. The springtime would be very hard on
the tree as it would bleed excessively.

My sister-in-law's live-in boyfriend killed 2 beautiful maples in her
backyard with his annual " pruning", so be very careful.

Peter H