Old 09-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Travis

Default Newbie Questions re. Bamboo in my garden

jh wrote:
I bought a house 2 years ago and there was some Bamboo planted as a
hedge around the perimeter of the house. It has really come on and
looks great but it is starting to pop up all over the place. This
happens about once or max twice a year. I don't know if I should
simply cut the heads off as they pop up or whether I should dig as
deep as possible to cut as much of the root off as I can?

I have some photos available on
http://members14.clubphoto.com/jimmy...09/guest.phtml

So to my questions? Any help would be much appreciated.

1. Should I simply keep cutting them as they pop up and how low should
I go?

You can lop them off at ground level or prune the rhizomes at the edge of
where you want the bamboo.

2. What variety of Bamboo do I have?

It is very difficult to identify bamboo just from pictures.

3. Would it work putting a sand trench in place about 1 metre or 3
feet from the main row and how deep should it be?

No, the trench won't work. You need to use HDPE 60 mil thick at least 3
feet deep with 2 or 3 inches above ground level.

4. Any other advice?

If you don't water the bamboo it will help a little to reduce it's running.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5