Old 09-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Nedra

Default Koi living in mud ponds.

Hey Lee ... Is the calcium bentonite clay the same thing as
Koi Clay? I do hope so ... I just bought a bunch! Have
only used it one week so far. I notice the rocks that have
fallen in over the years are now a deep brown. Wonder if
this is from the Koi Clay? Guess I should call the owner
VBG I also sprinkled about a tablespoon or two on the
roses.... miracle stuff! None on my food yet.

Nedra

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
The "mud ponds" the Japanese use are finishing ponds - where the koi go to
"finish" before a show. The "mud" is calcium bentonite clay - a very
specific type of clay. It has very high mineral content and has been

proven
over the centuries to improve the color of the koi and the luster of their
skin. This particular clay has many uses, and is even sprinkled over food
here in the States as an aid to digestion. Many paste foods include a half
cup or so of bentonite clay as an ingredient. The fish are placed in the
finishing ponds for 6 months to a year, during which time they aren't seen
at all (due to the density of the mud) until the pond is drained for
harvesting. Then it's like Christmas morning!

The koi don't mind "unclear" water (green algae or mud), their owners do
GBG! We don't like feeding "lips" - all that we can see when the water

is
murky. We want to see our prized finny pets, so we want clear water.
Actually, if the water was murky, it would probably save their lives, as

it
would be a lot harder for predators to see them. The water can be funky

us), but as long as the ammonia, nitrItes, pH and DO are in line, the fish
could care less!

Lee

"David Larson" wrote in message
Hello all,

I've read many threads about Koi needing to have crystal clean water in

order to thrive. Then I
looked at a few websites for Koi breeders in Japan, and their Koi live

in
mud ponds and the water is
far from crystal clear. Look at these pics -

http://www.tategoi.com/oomokoi/koi%20harvest.htm

Now... these breeders have zillions of dollars (yen) invested in their

Koi, so they need them to
maintain prime health. This being the case, is it really necessary to

have
clear water for koi? Yes,
Ph, nitrates, nitrites, and such need to be correct - but it seems the

water itself does not need to
be clear.

What am I missing here????

- David