Old 09-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Gardening Quotes - Reasonable?

"Paul Kelly" wrote in
:

"Iain Miller" wrote in message

At
the end of the job it worked out that the fitter (and there was only
one) cost me about £350 a day....nice work if you can get it.

Ah, but if you had paid by the hour the job would have taken 2 days at
£175 per day! (;-)

Its rather like garages, most do not charge actual labour hours for a
job they charge "standard hours" from a trade reference guide. The
good garages make more money by consistently beating the "standard"
times. That's how come they can have multiple jobs running at the same
time without keeping detailed timing records.

To an extent it is the same in Gardens: what you should expect to pay
for is a combination of time and expertise. Ask a novice to prune your
fruit trees or roses and he will take far longer than an expert. It is
fair and reasonable that the expert charges a higher hourly rate.

Quite.

I don't see a problem with charging a standard monthly rate, but doing
more work when it is needed and less at other times. People find that
sort of bill easier to pay, and quibble less over prices, which saves
everyone's time and money.

Give them an hourly rate and people will waste hours of your time
quibbling over exactly how long it will really take, or insisting you
explain it to them so they can do it instead. By the time you've done
that you need to charge them more to cover the cost of the quibble.

I always price by the job now: it gives a fairer basis for comparison
overall.

I totally agree that the 'provide plants' thing does sound a bit too
vague and needs exploring further, and would add that 15 quid a week
sounds absurdly cheap if they really do come very week, unless the
gardener lives next door, or is already looking after other gardens in
the street.

Victoria
--
Clare Associates Ltd