Old 09-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Frogleg

Default vegetable juice preservation/recipes?

On 08 Jun 2003 19:21:03 GMT, (JohnDKestell)
wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had some good recipes for preparing a juice similar
to "V8" juice? It seems that I will be having more tomatoes than Ican even
begin to think about giving away (pity pity!) Anyway, the juice would be
awesome for making some good chile, or even for some bloody marys through the
winter.
any ideas would be appreciated. haven't had a lot of luck on the web .

You might try asking in rec.food.preserving. I made (in search of
no-salt) tomato juice several years ago by sieving peeled, de-seeded
tomatoes and freezing. Or maybe it was sieving peeled tomatoes and
discarding the seeds and freezing. Anyhow, it worked out OK. V8 is,
according to the label, made from "reconstituted tomato juice from
concentrate...reconstituted vegetable juice blend (water and
concentrated juices of carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce,
watercress, spinach) salt,...and "flavorings." And an awful lot of
salt, too -- 650mg per 8oz serving, or 25% of the USDA average daily
allowance.

I like V8, too. (Why else would I have a label close to hand?) Note
that "water" is listed ahead of the components of "reconstituted
vegetable juice," which means there's more water than carrot, celery,
etc., etc.

You can *buy* V8 -- why not make your own signature juice? Tomato &
whatever? I expect garlic salt is one ingredient. I'm a little
skeptical about the amount of dark green veg included -- the juice is
so bright red. Why not cucumber? Or basil?