Old 08-06-2003, 08:32 PM
JohnDKestell

Default vegetable juice preservation/recipes?

HI,
I was wondering if anyone had some good recipes for preparing a juice similar
to "V8" juice? It seems that I will be having more tomatoes than Ican even
begin to think about giving away (pity pity!) Anyway, the juice would be
awesome for making some good chile, or even for some bloody marys through the
winter.

any ideas would be appreciated. haven't had a lot of luck on the web .

thanks,
john
Old 08-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Perry Noid

JohnDKestell wrote:

HI,
I was wondering if anyone had some good recipes for preparing a juice similar
to "V8" juice? It seems that I will be having more tomatoes than Ican even
begin to think about giving away (pity pity!) Anyway, the juice would be
awesome for making some good chile, or even for some bloody marys through the
winter.

any ideas would be appreciated. haven't had a lot of luck on the web .

thanks,
john

I've been juicing for a while, spent a fair bit of money trying
different things. Pros and cons:

preserved/bottled juice (V8) - cooking or canning (bottling) destroys
the foods natural enzymes. Enzymes are fragle, distroyed at temperatures
ranging from 105 to 140. All cooked food is devoid of enzymes. Enzymes
are required for digestion, so what required enzymes that are not in the
food your liver must make at the cost of nutrition. (The FDA don't want
you thinking about enzymes because they can't be mass marketed) While
meat, milk, cheeze, etc. can take 2 hours to digest, fresh foods with
their enzymes still intact can take minutes or even seconds to digest,
much easier for the body to assumlate.

typical high speed juicer (like wal-mart sells) - wastes the pulp which
can be soggy (wasted juice). The high speed cutter damages the structure
of the food. Most experts agree that within an hour after processing in
a high speed juicer the food has lost HALF its nutrition!!

Vita-Mix (ultra high speed blender) - Has the advantage that nothing is
wasted. Turns even frozen fruit and fiberous foods into a =very smooth=
drink. However the highspeed cutters damage the nutrition of food just
like ordinary juicers, giving the food a very short nutritional life.
But this is the closest thing i've found to homemade V8.

slow speed juicers (wheat grass juicers) - squeezes juice out of fresh
fruits and greens by grinding and pressing the food past a screen at
slow speeds, ejects very dry pulp (which is wasted). Manufactures of
slow speed juicers claim the juice retains nutrition much longer, two
days compared to one hour with the high speed appliances.

I own a Vita-Mix prep ($400 professional vita-mix blender), a GreenStar
juicer (duel gear slow speed juicer, does wheat grass), a BacktoBasics
wheat grass juicer (manually cranked juicer), various cheap blenders and
juicers, and a Samson "6-in-1" slow speed juicer (does wheatgrass). That
Samson is the best, and much easier to clean than the expensive
GreenStar /

http://www.discountjuicers.com/samson.html
Old 09-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Repeating Decimal

in article , JohnDKestell at
wrote on 6/8/03 12:21 PM:

HI,
I was wondering if anyone had some good recipes for preparing a juice similar
to "V8" juice? It seems that I will be having more tomatoes than Ican even
begin to think about giving away (pity pity!) Anyway, the juice would be
awesome for making some good chile, or even for some bloody marys through the
winter.

any ideas would be appreciated. haven't had a lot of luck on the web .

thanks,
john

Although I have not done so for a few years, I have canned tomatoes in Mason
jars from time to time. My prime objective was to be safe. The results,
however have been good and flavorful.

I have a Tefal pressure cooker capable of handling three 1-quart jars at a
time. I happen to like tomato seeds, so I make no effort to strain them out.
I cut up the tomatoes and cook them in a open pot to boil it down to a much
more dense substance than I start with. Then I place them into the jars
using a large mouth funnel. I fill to about half an inch from the top. I put
the lids on loosely. I immerse them in water in the bottom of the pressure
cooker so that the depth after immersion is 1-1/2 to 2 inches. I then heat
under pressure for about 20 minutes so that I am sure everything gets
killed.

After cool down I open the cooker and tighten the lids. After final cooling,
I make sure that the lids are concave as I look down at them. I look at them
again before opening to make sure that the seal is still functioning. This
may not be the way pros do it, but if nothing else, I am sure the product is
safe.

My problem with this is that liquid gets forced out past the lid during the
final high pressure cooking. As the jars cool down, that leaves an air gap
on top. I would appreciate it if someone can tell me how to get the jar to
fill to within half an inch or so from the top.

Although it has been a long time, I have seen the canned items at fairs.
They seem to have the produce stacked nicely and neatly up to the tops of
the jars. How does that get done?

In spite of the imperfections, I have used the sauce prepared as described
in chili, often using kidney beans. The final result is excellent, but I
would like to make for a prettier package.

Bill

Old 09-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Frogleg

On 08 Jun 2003 19:21:03 GMT, (JohnDKestell)
wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had some good recipes for preparing a juice similar
to "V8" juice? It seems that I will be having more tomatoes than Ican even
begin to think about giving away (pity pity!) Anyway, the juice would be
awesome for making some good chile, or even for some bloody marys through the
winter.
any ideas would be appreciated. haven't had a lot of luck on the web .

You might try asking in rec.food.preserving. I made (in search of
no-salt) tomato juice several years ago by sieving peeled, de-seeded
tomatoes and freezing. Or maybe it was sieving peeled tomatoes and
discarding the seeds and freezing. Anyhow, it worked out OK. V8 is,
according to the label, made from "reconstituted tomato juice from
concentrate...reconstituted vegetable juice blend (water and
concentrated juices of carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce,
watercress, spinach) salt,...and "flavorings." And an awful lot of
salt, too -- 650mg per 8oz serving, or 25% of the USDA average daily
allowance.

I like V8, too. (Why else would I have a label close to hand?) Note
that "water" is listed ahead of the components of "reconstituted
vegetable juice," which means there's more water than carrot, celery,
etc., etc.

You can *buy* V8 -- why not make your own signature juice? Tomato &
whatever? I expect garlic salt is one ingredient. I'm a little
skeptical about the amount of dark green veg included -- the juice is
so bright red. Why not cucumber? Or basil?

Old 13-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Dave Allyn

. I'm a little
skeptical about the amount of dark green veg included -- the juice is
so bright red. Why not cucumber? Or basil?

Enough Dye will overcome any color problems... even catsup has lots
of dye in it: hence the red (or now green, puprple, etc) color

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!