Old 09-06-2003, 10:08 PM
jh

Default Newbie Questions re. Bamboo in my garden

(Chris) wrote in message . com...
(jh) wrote in message . com...
I bought a house 2 years ago and there was some Bamboo planted as a
hedge around the perimeter of the house. It has really come on and
looks great but it is starting to pop up all over the place. This
happens about once or max twice a year. I don't know if I should
simply cut the heads off as they pop up or whether I should dig as
deep as possible to cut as much of the root off as I can?

You'll never be able to do it.

2. What variety of Bamboo do I have?

Not sure, but it is definately a Phyllostachys. Most likely Aurea.
It is one of the more common bamboos in the US.

4. Any other advice?

Maintain it as it has been, mow the shoots with the lawn. The stumps
will rot away fairly quickly. You really only have to do a little
extra mowing in shooting season (apr may june depending on the climate
you are in).

What area are you in??

JH I am living in the South of France and the shoots have really
started popping up in the past 2 weeks. Thanks for you help & advice.

Chris
Chino,CA -(about 30 miles east of LA)