Old 10-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Dr. Scratch N. Sniff

Default Mystery flying insect

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 22:16:18 -0400, Tony Karp
wrote:

This insect was spotted at the Bailey Arboretum on Long Island, NY.

http://www.techno-impressionist.com/mysteryinsect.jpg

I apologize for the poor quality of this image, but I was only able to take one
shot, from a distance, before it flew away. I have retouched the image to take
away the background so that the features of the insect can be seen more
clearly.

In the photo, the insect is facing the camera.

It is about the size of a dragonfly, but has a thicker body. It looked to have
a wingspan of three to four inches.

The most unusual feature are the wings, which differ greatly from most insects
of this type. Instead of the wide, filmy wings of the dragonfly, this insect
had four stick-like projections two on either side. The the end of each
projection was what appeared to be a square black flap, about one half inch on
each side, so that it looked like a flag at the end of the stick.

Some of this can be seen in the photo.

I looked around the web, but found nothing, so I'm counting on the experts here
to help identify this creature.

Tony Karp, TLC Systems Corp

Visit our web sites:
Techno-Impressionist Museum: http://www.techno-impressionist.com