Old 09-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Tony Karp

Default Mystery flying insect

This insect was spotted at the Bailey Arboretum on Long Island, NY.

http://www.techno-impressionist.com/mysteryinsect.jpg

I apologize for the poor quality of this image, but I was only able to take one
shot, from a distance, before it flew away. I have retouched the image to take
away the background so that the features of the insect can be seen more
clearly.

In the photo, the insect is facing the camera.

It is about the size of a dragonfly, but has a thicker body. It looked to have
a wingspan of three to four inches.

The most unusual feature are the wings, which differ greatly from most insects
of this type. Instead of the wide, filmy wings of the dragonfly, this insect
had four stick-like projections two on either side. The the end of each
projection was what appeared to be a square black flap, about one half inch on
each side, so that it looked like a flag at the end of the stick.

Some of this can be seen in the photo.

I looked around the web, but found nothing, so I'm counting on the experts here
to help identify this creature.

Tony Karp, TLC Systems Corp

Visit our web sites:
Techno-Impressionist Museum: http://www.techno-impressionist.com
TLC Systems: http://www.tlc-systems.com
Old 09-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Jim Elbrecht

Tony Karp wrote:

This insect was spotted at the Bailey Arboretum on Long Island, NY.

http://www.techno-impressionist.com/mysteryinsect.jpg

How does he compare to Plathemis Lydia, here;
http://www.gloriamundipress.com/dragonflies/id109.htm

Jim
Old 09-06-2003, 09:20 AM
David Hill

Looks like a dragonfly to me

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Tony Karp

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Tony Karp wrote:

This insect was spotted at the Bailey Arboretum on Long Island, NY.

http://www.techno-impressionist.com/mysteryinsect.jpg

How does he compare to Plathemis Lydia, here;
http://www.gloriamundipress.com/dragonflies/id109.htm

Take another look at the picture I posted.

No wings. Just stick with little flaps at the end. Like some sort of tiny model
aeroplane.

Old 09-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Tony Karp

"David Hill" wrote:

Looks like a dragonfly to me

Take another look at the picture I posted.

No wings. Just sticks with little flaps at the end. Like some sort of tiny
model aeroplane.

I've seen dragonlies, darning needles, and damselflies. Not like this one.

Old 09-06-2003, 02:44 PM
animaux

I don't know if they live that far north, but it could be a cicada killer.

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...misc/ef004.htm

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...c/ef004ci2.htm

Old 09-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Tony Karp wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Tony Karp wrote:

This insect was spotted at the Bailey Arboretum on Long Island, NY.

http://www.techno-impressionist.com/mysteryinsect.jpg

How does he compare to Plathemis Lydia, here;
http://www.gloriamundipress.com/dragonflies/id109.htm

Take another look at the picture I posted.

No wings. Just stick with little flaps at the end. Like some sort of tiny model
aeroplane.

My eyes aren't the best, but I swear I see the outline of the clear
part of two rear wings in your picture.

Another possibility is that you saw him just after he emerged & his
wings weren't expanded yet. When you look how compact they are in
the larval stage it is amazing that any ever fly before they're eaten.

I'd bet you a lunch that it is a Dragonfly of some type.

Jim
Old 10-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Ann

Tony Karp expounded:

This insect was spotted at the Bailey Arboretum on Long Island, NY.

http://www.techno-impressionist.com/mysteryinsect.jpg

It looks like a 12 spot dragonfly whose wings haven't fully expanded
yet.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 10-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Dr. Scratch N. Sniff

wrote:

[...]

Looks like a Dobsonfly to me.

Old 16-06-2004, 11:59 PM
Registered User

My mother just sent me this picture from Virginia in an email. She said she looked on the web for it but had never seen anything like it. I've looked and looked and finally found this message !

It looks like the same bug to me. I've seen one before but never had a camera to take a picture. Sorry to not be of any help besides corroboration but Mom and I would love to know what this thing is.
Attached Thumbnails
Mystery flying insect-bug.jpg

Old 25-07-2012, 02:09 AM
Registered User

Spotted one today in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. In the center of north america. I'm pretty sure this is no dragon fly
Old 25-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleezed1 View Post
My mother just sent me this picture from Virginia in an email. She said she looked on the web for it but had never seen anything like it. I've looked and looked and finally found this message !

It looks like the same bug to me. I've seen one before but never had a camera to take a picture. Sorry to not be of any help besides corroboration but Mom and I would love to know what this thing is.
It is not the same. The first was a dragonfly whose wings had not expanded yet. This is a dragonfly with expanded wings, but it has some coloured parts to its wings, which are showing prominently in comparison to the rest of the wing which is transparent. This is a feature of some species.

The insects shown also have flattened bodies, rather than the more tube-like bodies of our classic image of a dragonflies. But this is just part of the range of variation in body shape in dragonflies. Skimmers (Libellula) Libellula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia have such flattened bodies, for example. Some of them also have partly coloured wings - the 12-spot skimmer has already been mentioned, but it has 12 coloured areas on its wings, rather than the two we see here.

It is not a dobsonfly. Those have quite different heads and wings.