Old 10-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Orchids in Phoenix, AZ

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 20:48:24 -0700, "Wendy"
wrote:

My guess is that Arizona is very hot, dry, arid etc....
I would get some shade cloth, misters & a swamp cooler pronto!
Cheers
Wendy

Bill -
You said they were YELLOWISH... That is too much sun for the
amount of water and fertilizer. Get them some shade.
Also get some mist to raise the humidity and cool the
temperature. Your plants like your skin is reacting to the dry
air. They need more water and more humidity. I would be
surprised if you can grow on your patio. It probably is too hot
and dry. I can not see a way to bring the humidity up to 60-70%
and hold it without walls. Your Florida Orchids are used to
80-100% humidity. They don't know what to do.
There is less environmental filtering of your sunlight. You will
need shade cloth. What is the altitude your at now?
When we moved from Chicago to Colorado we found Mature plants
suddenly doubled in size. They also required 50% shade even in
winter.

SuE