Old 10-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Drakanthus

Default Tomatoes; Gardeners' World training method

Please can someone explian to me the method of training tomatoes shown
by Chris Beardshaw on GW last Friday?
I thought I was recording but my tape ran out. A friend has tried to
explain what she thought she saw but she is not a tomato grower!!
Something about cutting the stem to get one third more fruit?
Help please. Cannot find the details on GW site and am curious.

Pam in Bristol

I think the essence of it went something like this:
1. Tomatoes set on every third truss (set of leaves)
2. Chop the main stem off above a flowering truss.
3. Allow the side shoot that results to become the new main stem.
4. Repeat 1-3 as the plant grows.
Apparently this leads to tomatoes setting on every second truss rather than
every third truss.

I think I quoted that right - but I'm not a tomatoe expert.
GW are trying the method to see if they get a better crop.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)