Old 09-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Pam Moore

Default Tomatoes; Gardeners' World training method

Please can someone explian to me the method of training tomatoes shown
by Chris Beardshaw on GW last Friday?
I thought I was recording but my tape ran out. A friend has tried to
explain what she thought she saw but she is not a tomato grower!!
Something about cutting the stem to get one third more fruit?
Help please. Cannot find the details on GW site and am curious.

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Pam Moore
writes

Please can someone explian to me the method of training tomatoes shown
by Chris Beardshaw on GW last Friday?
I thought I was recording but my tape ran out. A friend has tried to
explain what she thought she saw but she is not a tomato grower!!
Something about cutting the stem to get one third more fruit?
Help please. Cannot find the details on GW site and am curious.

After every second leaf, cut the main stem and let a side shoot become
the leader - don't know what the normal method is, so don't know how
this compares! But the effect was to change:

Leaf leaf leaf truss leaf leaf leaf truss

leaf leaf truss leaf leaf truss
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 10-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Drakanthus

Please can someone explian to me the method of training tomatoes shown
by Chris Beardshaw on GW last Friday?
I thought I was recording but my tape ran out. A friend has tried to
explain what she thought she saw but she is not a tomato grower!!
Something about cutting the stem to get one third more fruit?
Help please. Cannot find the details on GW site and am curious.

Pam in Bristol

I think the essence of it went something like this:
1. Tomatoes set on every third truss (set of leaves)
2. Chop the main stem off above a flowering truss.
3. Allow the side shoot that results to become the new main stem.
4. Repeat 1-3 as the plant grows.
Apparently this leads to tomatoes setting on every second truss rather than
every third truss.

I think I quoted that right - but I'm not a tomatoe expert.
GW are trying the method to see if they get a better crop.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 11-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Sarah Dale

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:06:04 +0100, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Please can someone explian to me the method of training tomatoes shown
by Chris Beardshaw on GW last Friday?

After every second leaf, cut the main stem and let a side shoot become
the leader - don't know what the normal method is, so don't know how
this compares! But the effect was to change:

Leaf leaf leaf truss leaf leaf leaf truss

leaf leaf truss leaf leaf truss

And what I want to know, is why! I was really frustrated with GW after
watching this! Firstly the article was too short, they didn't explain why
tomatoe plants normally do 3 leaves then a truss, or why a side shoot,
would do 2 leaves and a truss. ARGH!!! Can anyone on URG help out on this?

I must admit I'm only on Year 2 of tomatoe growing, I certainly hadn't
noticed this 3 leaves and then a truss business last year. I must go and
count leaves and trusses on my present batch of tomatoes....

Although I am enjoying the new series of GW, I am finding it rather bitty
still, and they seem to chop and change a lot, i.e. 2 mins with MD, 3 mins
with RdeT, then back to MD for another 2 mins for a continuation of the
subject he was speaking about in the first place. What's wrong with a
continuous 5 min session...?

Sarah

Old 11-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Natalie

I think the essence of it went something like this:
1. Tomatoes set on every third truss (set of leaves)
2. Chop the main stem off above a flowering truss.
3. Allow the side shoot that results to become the new main stem.
4. Repeat 1-3 as the plant grows.
Apparently this leads to tomatoes setting on every second truss rather

than
every third truss.

I think I quoted that right - but I'm not a tomatoe expert.
GW are trying the method to see if they get a better crop.

Thanks for info. I'm going to try this with some of the tomatoes growing at
school. Will let you know how I get on.

Natalie

Old 11-06-2003, 08:56 AM
David Hill

I believe that what was said was that by training the side shoot you got 2
leaves then a truss instead of 3.
Looking at my plants side shots have 4 leaves before the first truss, also
the truss is later into flower than the next on the stem would be.
Growing normally you have no problems with having tomatoes setting on Every
truss.
Many years ago they brought out a variety called Mini bell, this was a very
compact plant and the space between leaves was only about 2 inches, just
wasn't practical for commercial growing, the leaf density was to much and
resulted in much more Botrytis

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 14-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Neil Trotter

In article , David Hill said:

I believe that what was said was that by training the side shoot you got 2
leaves then a truss instead of 3.
Looking at my plants side shots have 4 leaves before the first truss, ...

My Alicantes seem to be giving 6 leaves between trusses. So maybe I'll
give this method a go next year!

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK. (Amend email address to use).
Old 15-06-2003, 12:20 PM

My Alicantes seem to be giving 6 leaves between trusses. So maybe I'll
give this method a go next year!

And my Brandywines seem to have 2 leaves between trusses naturally. I guess
it's different for different varieties?

- h