Old 10-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Tom Jaszewski

Default compost (strong ammonia smell)

Putting Ammonium Nitrate in a compost pile defeats the general goal of
compostinng....to produce healthy soil biota!!

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:35:27 -0700, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

anaerobic, fermentation producing plant- toxic materials, not good!!!
here's a link for balancing the pile...

http://www.klickitatcounty.org/Solid...ompostCalc.htm

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:02:20 -0500, Carl e Roberts
wrote:

they say confession is good for the soul...

I overdosed on the nitrogen in my compost piles.. I added about a cup of
34-0-0 per 10" layer of my pile and yesterday when I turned the piles I
noticed a strong nitrogen smell. The first pile was also too wet but the
second pile was "heated" pretty good and contained a "white powder". Is
this "white powder" a good thing? Also what is the cure for my error?
frequent turning or should I just go ahead and add more carbon material?
(The piles contain plant material,grass clippings, leaves, and shredded
newspaper)