Old 10-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Carl e Roberts

Default compost (strong ammonia smell)

they say confession is good for the soul...

I overdosed on the nitrogen in my compost piles.. I added about a cup of
34-0-0 per 10" layer of my pile and yesterday when I turned the piles I
noticed a strong nitrogen smell. The first pile was also too wet but the
second pile was "heated" pretty good and contained a "white powder". Is
this "white powder" a good thing? Also what is the cure for my error?
frequent turning or should I just go ahead and add more carbon material?
(The piles contain plant material,grass clippings, leaves, and shredded
newspaper)

Old 10-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Tom Jaszewski

anaerobic, fermentation producing plant- toxic materials, not good!!!
here's a link for balancing the pile...

http://www.klickitatcounty.org/Solid...ompostCalc.htm

Old 10-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Tom Jaszewski

Putting Ammonium Nitrate in a compost pile defeats the general goal of
compostinng....to produce healthy soil biota!!

Old 10-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Carl e Roberts

yes.. I have confessed my sin and wrongdoing..

now what I need is your help to restore proper conditions "to produce healthy
soil biota"!!
should I get rid of the whole thing or are there some "fixes" here?

Old 10-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Tom Jaszewski

http://www.klickitatcounty.org/Solid...ompostCalc.htm

Use the information here to redo the compost process

Old 10-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Beecrofter

Carl e Roberts wrote in message ...
they say confession is good for the soul...

I overdosed on the nitrogen in my compost piles.. I added about a cup of
34-0-0 per 10" layer of my pile and yesterday when I turned the piles I
noticed a strong nitrogen smell. The first pile was also too wet but the
second pile was "heated" pretty good and contained a "white powder". Is
this "white powder" a good thing? Also what is the cure for my error?
frequent turning or should I just go ahead and add more carbon material?
(The piles contain plant material,grass clippings, leaves, and shredded
newspaper)

Yeah you are outgassing Nitrogen as ammonia.
Turn the pile and maybe it will even out or add some sawdust or
similar carbon containing material. A couple cups of sugar would work.
Don't sweat the white powder.
Try keeping the pile moist as a wet but not drippy sponge.
Go a little easier on the ammonium nitrate next time, you don't want
the BATF kicking your door in. Why did you use it in the first place?
feel a need for speed?
Old 10-06-2003, 11:20 PM
zxcvbob

Tom Jaszewski wrote:

Putting Ammonium Nitrate in a compost pile defeats the general goal of
compostinng....to produce healthy soil biota!!

No problem. Add more newspaper to throw the balance back towards carbon.

regards,
bob

Old 11-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Starlord

that powder is the growing fugus inside the pile, that's what does the braking
down of everything, YES it's a GOOD thing to see.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

"Carl e Roberts" wrote in message
they say confession is good for the soul...

I overdosed on the nitrogen in my compost piles.. I added about a cup of
34-0-0 per 10" layer of my pile and yesterday when I turned the piles I
noticed a strong nitrogen smell. The first pile was also too wet but the
second pile was "heated" pretty good and contained a "white powder". Is
this "white powder" a good thing? Also what is the cure for my error?
frequent turning or should I just go ahead and add more carbon material?
(The piles contain plant material,grass clippings, leaves, and shredded
newspaper)

---

Old 12-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Alice Gamewell

Add more brown material and mix pile well. The smell will subside in a day
or so
Happy composting
Alice