Old 10-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Beecrofter

Default compost (strong ammonia smell)

Carl e Roberts wrote in message ...
they say confession is good for the soul...

I overdosed on the nitrogen in my compost piles.. I added about a cup of
34-0-0 per 10" layer of my pile and yesterday when I turned the piles I
noticed a strong nitrogen smell. The first pile was also too wet but the
second pile was "heated" pretty good and contained a "white powder". Is
this "white powder" a good thing? Also what is the cure for my error?
frequent turning or should I just go ahead and add more carbon material?
(The piles contain plant material,grass clippings, leaves, and shredded
newspaper)

Yeah you are outgassing Nitrogen as ammonia.
Turn the pile and maybe it will even out or add some sawdust or
similar carbon containing material. A couple cups of sugar would work.
Don't sweat the white powder.
Try keeping the pile moist as a wet but not drippy sponge.
Go a little easier on the ammonium nitrate next time, you don't want
the BATF kicking your door in. Why did you use it in the first place?
feel a need for speed?