Old 10-06-2003, 10:44 PM
David Hare-Scott

Default Metal Raised Beds

"Colin Malsingh" wrote in
message ...
On 9 Jun 2003 09:55:00 -0700, (Chris) wrote:

I am a huge fan (almost 250 lbs.) of raised beds

Out of interest, why are raised beds any better than just planting
straight into the normal soil?

People say that they get better results, but apart from being about 3
or 4 inches closer to the sun, I can't see what the difference is.

As for the soil getting warmed better, how can any warmth from the
sides get through to the centre (despite the moisture, soil can't be a
very good conductor of heat).

Please let me in on the secret.

Colin
-----
Replace the obvious with Bigfoot

- improved drainage
- in many cases better depth of soil than could be created on the flat
- improved access, less stooping and kneeling
- the made border makes it easier to keep out grass and other intruding
species

The few inches closer to the sun is of marginal benefit except on cloudy
days

David