Old 10-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Dave Lockwood

Default preventative systemic fungicide?

Ryan,
I would advise against any copper compound. Most plant life do not like
copper in any concentration above micronutrient levels. Have you thought of
hydrogen peroxide? A knowledgeable professional plant pathologist told me
that it has been shown that most dendrobium orchids, for example, produce a
5% secretion of hydrogen peroxide at the leaf nodes. That's why the stems
are seldom infected, it can't get by the nodes. If they can take 5% then
the 3% over the counter stuff should be safe. Just my two cents worth.
Dave
"Ryan greenthumbs" wrote in message
om...
Living in Broward County, South Florida, I am lucky enough to be able
to keep my orchids outside in the elements. This is the rainy season,
and lately we've been getting almost too much rain in my back patio.
All this water makes me nervous; I'm concerned about fungal growth.
I've heardof few solutions to this problem. Some people have
suggested spraying my orchids regularly with a bleach/water or
Physan/water solution (1 part/10 parts). Others have recommended a
copper-based fungicide (I think it's copper sulfate) diluted and
sprayed monthly or bimonthly.
What I'm looking for is a systemic fungicide that's ok to use once in
a while to keep my orchids brown spot, black rot, bud blight, and
crown rot free.
Honestly, though, I've not had too much of a problem so far... like I
said, I'm just trying to be cautious.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
"Greenthumbs"