Old 10-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Ryan greenthumbs

Default preventative systemic fungicide?

Living in Broward County, South Florida, I am lucky enough to be able
to keep my orchids outside in the elements. This is the rainy season,
and lately we've been getting almost too much rain in my back patio.
All this water makes me nervous; I'm concerned about fungal growth.
I've heardof few solutions to this problem. Some people have
suggested spraying my orchids regularly with a bleach/water or
Physan/water solution (1 part/10 parts). Others have recommended a
copper-based fungicide (I think it's copper sulfate) diluted and
sprayed monthly or bimonthly.
What I'm looking for is a systemic fungicide that's ok to use once in
a while to keep my orchids brown spot, black rot, bud blight, and
crown rot free.
Honestly, though, I've not had too much of a problem so far... like I
said, I'm just trying to be cautious.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
"Greenthumbs"
Old 10-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Dave Lockwood

Ryan,
I would advise against any copper compound. Most plant life do not like
copper in any concentration above micronutrient levels. Have you thought of
hydrogen peroxide? A knowledgeable professional plant pathologist told me
that it has been shown that most dendrobium orchids, for example, produce a
5% secretion of hydrogen peroxide at the leaf nodes. That's why the stems
are seldom infected, it can't get by the nodes. If they can take 5% then
the 3% over the counter stuff should be safe. Just my two cents worth.
Dave
om...

Old 10-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Kenni Judd

I don't generally recommend spraying systemic fungicides on a preventative
basis, but I do understand about the summer rains around here [I'm only a
little north of you]. One or two sprayings of Cleary's 3336, a month apart,
should get you through. We have sprayed Cleary's on most everything,
without apparent harm.

If you must spray more than that, you should rotate your chemicals so as to
avoid building resistance.

Copper [Kocide is the most common brand-name] is Ok for many orchids, but
dendrobiums tend to be very sensitive to it [drop all their leaves], and I
would worry about the Paphs and Phrags, too. Phyton 27 is reputed to be a
safer formulation of copper, and I have used it at the lowest recommended
level without harm to my dens, but have never sprayed it on Paphs or Phrags.

Less toxic prevention methods include tipping your plants, esp. the phals,
so that water won't puddle in the crowns and, of course, regular
inspections.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd