Old 11-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default where do you use bone meal?

The message
from (Jan Flora) contains these words:

That's what I'm afraid of. They found that BSE cow in Alberta in January and
took 90 days to report it to the world. This worries us...

Quite; you'd hardly think anyone could be so stupid after watching
what happened in the UK.

I looked di-cal up on the web. It's made from degreased, crushed cow bones.

Sounds like the kind of delicacy that used to be included in animal
feeds :-(

How do you crush your seashells??

I let the sea/rocks do that and just collect it from the beach ready made.

I failed to gather any seaweed from our beaches this winter for my garden.
It's amazing (to me) how much good stuff for a garden can come from the sea.

Me too; you should see our potatoes this year, grown in/on/under
seaweed. Since moving here we've spent many happy hours beach walking
and salvaging all kinds of useful washed-up junk from fish baskets to
lengths of rope. John found a fleece hat which he wears :-(, and the dog
has found three balls and a plastic duck which she plays with all the
time.

The nearest shop is right beside the beach so when I pick up the milk
and paper I collect a few nice stones in my pockets. The rest of the
trip is spent calculating how many years/pocketsfull it will take to
make pebble paths round the veg garden.

Janet.