Old 11-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Sarah Dale

Default Tomatoes; Gardeners' World training method

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:06:04 +0100, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Please can someone explian to me the method of training tomatoes shown
by Chris Beardshaw on GW last Friday?

After every second leaf, cut the main stem and let a side shoot become
the leader - don't know what the normal method is, so don't know how
this compares! But the effect was to change:

Leaf leaf leaf truss leaf leaf leaf truss

leaf leaf truss leaf leaf truss

And what I want to know, is why! I was really frustrated with GW after
watching this! Firstly the article was too short, they didn't explain why
tomatoe plants normally do 3 leaves then a truss, or why a side shoot,
would do 2 leaves and a truss. ARGH!!! Can anyone on URG help out on this?

I must admit I'm only on Year 2 of tomatoe growing, I certainly hadn't
noticed this 3 leaves and then a truss business last year. I must go and
count leaves and trusses on my present batch of tomatoes....

Although I am enjoying the new series of GW, I am finding it rather bitty
still, and they seem to chop and change a lot, i.e. 2 mins with MD, 3 mins
with RdeT, then back to MD for another 2 mins for a continuation of the
subject he was speaking about in the first place. What's wrong with a
continuous 5 min session...?

Sarah