Old 03-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Tanya

Default crown rot -- please advise!

Geir Harris Hedemark wrote:

Tanya writes:
a lower leaf had yellowed (physiologically) and 7 days ago i tried to
remove the rest of the leaf (this i believe contributed to it)
yesterday noted a pale leaf which fell off... (was bagged due to broken
humidifier) took out of its pot lost another leaf...

I have poor experience with any kind of closed plastic bags. Every
time I have used something like that, mold and rot pops up almost
immediately, almost as if I had the plant in an overly humid, cold
environment without air circulation.

I have a phal with a lot of foilage that has lost most of its
roots. Since bagging them only has the effect of making it easier to
throw the thing out later, I have potted it in a fine media and given
it about 2-5klux of light, with frequent misting and a steady
airflow. It seems to hold up better than it would have in a bag. I am
going to lose another leaf, but there are the inklings of new root
bumps on the plant.

Geir

thank you for replying!
do you keep it with your other orchids? (i.e. is it contagious?)
also did you treat it with anything? (i.e. benomyl?)
would you think that sphagnum moss (high grade loose is ok?) it had been in
fairly fine bark before yesterday)
it (i am sure) will be losing its next to last leaf (leaving one)
thank you
sincerely
Tanya