Old 11-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Jane Lumley

Default Long grizzle - wrong roses!

Okay, here's a trusting fool for you.

1. I planted a Modern Climber - not my style, as you know, but there I
was choosing virtues like reliability! in the front garden, right at the
front, to occupy a key flowering position. It was supposed to be Golden
Showers. When the buds broke, they were PINK! Bright pink, in fact (in
a yellow and blue border). Back to the nursery it went, where they said
it was Agatha Christie. I felt murderous . I replaced it with Claire
Jacquier, but she may not now flower this year; no buds, unsurprisingly.
Grr.

2. At the back, again in the most prominent place right behind the BACK
door, I planted what I was told was Mme Isaac Pereire - you see the
thinking? Heady scent, back door, right? Buds broke yesterday and she
isn't Mme Isaac at ALL. The flowers are orangey, fading to apricot, and
TINY, HT shape. In a lilac and blue border! Up she comes! Nursery
says it can send a replacement, but (again) may not flower this year.
Double grrr.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I have an impostor
pretending to be Maiden's Blush out back - it's repeat-flowering and
usually flowers by the middle of May.

Amazingly these roses came from different nurseries both of which have
always been fine before. Next time I buy a rose I shall look VERY
carefully at it to make sure it's what it says it is.

Would love to hear others' stories of The Wrong Roses.
--
Jane Lumley