Old 11-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Jane Lumley

Default Long grizzle - wrong roses!

Okay, here's a trusting fool for you.

1. I planted a Modern Climber - not my style, as you know, but there I
was choosing virtues like reliability! in the front garden, right at the
front, to occupy a key flowering position. It was supposed to be Golden
Showers. When the buds broke, they were PINK! Bright pink, in fact (in
a yellow and blue border). Back to the nursery it went, where they said
it was Agatha Christie. I felt murderous . I replaced it with Claire
Jacquier, but she may not now flower this year; no buds, unsurprisingly.
Grr.

2. At the back, again in the most prominent place right behind the BACK
door, I planted what I was told was Mme Isaac Pereire - you see the
thinking? Heady scent, back door, right? Buds broke yesterday and she
isn't Mme Isaac at ALL. The flowers are orangey, fading to apricot, and
TINY, HT shape. In a lilac and blue border! Up she comes! Nursery
says it can send a replacement, but (again) may not flower this year.
Double grrr.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I have an impostor
pretending to be Maiden's Blush out back - it's repeat-flowering and
usually flowers by the middle of May.

Amazingly these roses came from different nurseries both of which have
always been fine before. Next time I buy a rose I shall look VERY
carefully at it to make sure it's what it says it is.

Would love to hear others' stories of The Wrong Roses.
--
Jane Lumley
Old 11-06-2003, 07:56 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:22:01 +0100, Jane Lumley
wrote:

[...]

This has got me thinking about the power of names. I'd buy an Issac
Hayes rose in a heartbeat.

Can you dig it?

Old 11-06-2003, 08:08 PM
dave weil

wrote:

[...]

Or Isaac Hayes even.

....he's a bad muth...well shut my mouth!

Give me some of dat Hot Buttered Soul!
Old 14-06-2003, 05:20 PM
VRB300

Would love to hear others' stories of The Wrong Roses

I purchased what was clearly labeled as a climber (Don Juan) and also planted
at the back door. The plant appears for all intents and puposes to be
a"regular" bush since the 4 canes each have a flowering bud at the tip. I
thought climbers bloomed on laterals(I am not a rose officianado). Am I barking
up the wrong "cane"?

Vince
Old 14-06-2003, 08:44 PM
dave weil

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 19:20:52 GMT, (Shiva) wrote:

On 14 Jun 2003 16:16:33 GMT,
(VRB300) wrote:

Would love to hear others' stories of The Wrong Roses

I purchased what was clearly labeled as a climber (Don Juan) and also planted
at the back door. The plant appears for all intents and puposes to be
a"regular" bush since the 4 canes each have a flowering bud at the tip. I
thought climbers bloomed on laterals(I am not a rose officianado). Am I barking
up the wrong "cane"?

Nope. It looks like a "regular" bush until one cane grows too long to
stand up by itself and falls over. Then it sprouts beautiful lateral
canes every couple of inches or so. You can also hurry it along by
bending them yourself, I suppose. Mine is in its third year, groing on
a chain link fence. Many long canes horizontal with many, many
laterals, some of which have fallen over and sprouted laterals. It is
in its second major flush at the moment--has climbed 10 feet up into
the mature hollies behind it. There is nothing like sticking your nose
in a Don Juan bloom warm from the morning sun. Rosy, lovely scent!
Velvety petals! It just gets better and better with time. Mine is in
full sun--FULL full sun--gets at least 9 hours. Water it lots and lots
and it will make you happy.

Vince

Thanks for the info. This will be helpful as I start to train DJ on my
trellis, although it doesn't sound promising for the DJs that I have
planted under my dying cranberry tree. I should have probably planted
something that throws off a *lot* of long canes to wind up the trunk.
Maybe I'll drive some posts next to the tree and train them around
them and back to the tree to get some lateral growth going...

Old 14-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Shiva

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 14:22:54 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Can it be that I have not talked to you enough about DON JUAN? How can
it be?

This will be helpful as I start to train DJ on my
trellis, although it doesn't sound promising for the DJs that I have
planted under my dying cranberry tree. I should have probably planted
something that throws off a *lot* of long canes to wind up the trunk.
Maybe I'll drive some posts next to the tree and train them around
them and back to the tree to get some lateral growth going...

Dave, I have damned near NO experience with climbers except this Don
Juan and the Sombreuil planted next to it, which seems to grow the
same way. I don't know how others grow or even if there is a
difference except in length, vigor, that sort of thing. I just pretty
much just let these do what they do, benign neglect. I don't like the
idea of training anything, although, the reason for the benign neglect
is just lack of time. They are all in a tangle--the tangle is
presently about 10 feet wide but I regularly hack off parts that break
free and wave around. In any case, if you have this thing in full sun
and give it tons of water it ought to be leaping out of the ground.
Plenty of plant to do what you want with.

Old 14-06-2003, 09:56 PM
dave weil

wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Can it be that I have not talked to you enough about DON JUAN? How can
it be?

Dunno.

BTW, the new blooms on Don Juan have been nicer than the first ones
(as I suspected they might).

[...]

Well, this was all helpful stuff. I wasn't worried too much about the
little trellis, but the tree was something that I wanted to eventually
hide. Maybe I can work the lateral thing to my advantage by wrapping
the canes *around* the trunk of the tree rather than training the
canes *up* the trunk. We'll see.

Sombreuil has been an underperformer for me (mainly due to the lack of
afternoon sun I think) but that works well for its location, which is
fairly limited in size anyway.

Old 14-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Shiva

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:54:41 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

Well, this was all helpful stuff. I wasn't worried too much about the
little trellis, but the tree was something that I wanted to eventually
hide. Maybe I can work the lateral thing to my advantage by wrapping
the canes *around* the trunk of the tree rather than training the
canes *up* the trunk. We'll see.

Here's a thought: add some other climbers. Don Juan is small for a
climber, judging from what many have said. Bob Bauer said its canes
gets no more than 12 or 15 feel long. Most people worry about
containig a giant climber--with your tree, you have no such worries. I
like two different types of roses intertwined together. That is what I
wanted to happen with Don and Sombreuil, but they have not bloomed at
the same time, so that's a bust so far. Have you considered Zepherine
Drohine [spelling!!]? Jane's up in Maryland is outstanding.

Sombreuil has been an underperformer for me (mainly due to the lack of
afternoon sun I think) but that works well for its location, which is
fairly limited in size anyway.

I like mine okay except for the fact that it ages so ugly. I love the
blushy center. But I am not really attracted to roses with 9,000 itsy
bitsy petals. It is a lot more shallow-cupped than I had thought it
would be.

Old 14-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Anne Lurie

Shiva,

Would bending the cane over, as described below, work with a Blaze climber
also? (I realize that Blaze may be out of fashion, but when I first got my
rose arbor, I knew my hubby would want the "rose arbor like my grandmother
had" so Blaze fit the bill -- unfortunately, both the arbor & the roses
are in the wrong place, as it turns out, but........ until I get the arbor
through which no dogs can run, it will have to do).

I'm wondering because I just cut off about 3' from a cane that was heading
up into a nearby Dogwood, and I might have been able to do something more
productive with the cane. (The roses & Dogwood were not on a collision
course until Hurricane Floyd, but the best-laid plans....)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

s.com...

Old 15-06-2003, 03:56 PM
dave weil

wrote:

Well, this was all helpful stuff. I wasn't worried too much about the
little trellis, but the tree was something that I wanted to eventually
hide. Maybe I can work the lateral thing to my advantage by wrapping
the canes *around* the trunk of the tree rather than training the
canes *up* the trunk. We'll see.

Here's a thought: add some other climbers. Don Juan is small for a
climber, judging from what many have said. Bob Bauer said its canes
gets no more than 12 or 15 feel long. Most people worry about
containig a giant climber--with your tree, you have no such worries. I
like two different types of roses intertwined together. That is what I
wanted to happen with Don and Sombreuil, but they have not bloomed at
the same time, so that's a bust so far. Have you considered Zepherine
Drohine [spelling!!]? Jane's up in Maryland is outstanding.

This is a good idea.

Actually, I went whole hog and planted *two* Don Juans under this tree
g.

And now, I've looked carefully at the tree and I realize that 10 - 12
ft. canes will cover most of the tree (it's a spindly little thing,
after all of the hacking that I did to it trying to save it). So, I
might be able to get away with *just* the Don Juans. The drooping cane
thing might work to my advantage if I let one long cane from each
plant to get, say, about 6 or 7 feet tall and then train it downwards.
I might be able to generate a nice girth of rose around the tree this
way. I'm hoping to train each of them up each of the remaining
branches and then have them cross over in the middle.

Here's a pic to give perspective. The stub of a branch in the middle
is about 6 feet tall. Another 6 feet takes us about 2/3rd 3/4s of the
way up the branches.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/DJClimbers.jpg

But you've got me thinking that growing Cecile Brunner CL on the other
side of the trunk might be cool, contrasting big red blooms with more
delicate small blossoms weaving in and out. Since I've got a *real*
specimen CB at the moment, I'd probably choose something different
(and a different color as well).

Sombreuil has been an underperformer for me (mainly due to the lack of
afternoon sun I think) but that works well for its location, which is
fairly limited in size anyway.

I like mine okay except for the fact that it ages so ugly. I love the
blushy center. But I am not really attracted to roses with 9,000 itsy
bitsy petals. It is a lot more shallow-cupped than I had thought it
would be.

My problem with Sombreuil stems from the fact that it was a spindly
little thing when I got it (part of the reason that I don't order from
Vintage Gardens any more). It's done surprisingly well in its third
season, and, as I've said, it's probably for the best, although I hope
to eventually create a wall of rose on the porch. I've got 10 foot
canes, but the ends aren't very vigorous.

The other limiting factor is that it shares its little pied a terre
with a vigorous stand of mint. I'm constantly ripping out an area of
mint around it.

I guess I'm disappointed that it hasn't been nearly as vigorous as CB,
which was planted at the same time. CB has been really amazing in
terms of coverage. Here's a recent pic:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/CBJune10.jpg

The tallest part of the plant is about 10 feet up. It would be much
taller, but I've arched some of the longest canes to create an
illusion of a tree and bush (making the top part rounded, as you can
plainly see). I really like the effect and now that the second flush
of blooms is fading, it's starting to throw some long canes straight
upward. I just wish that Sombreuil would do this. Instead, it's just
sitting there, with only one new cane coming out of one of the
foundation canes (and not basal growth either). Well, it just has a
different growth habit, plus, it doesn't get all day sun like CB does.

I've also planted a "President" clematis at the base of the tree (you
can barely see one of those little wooden "arbors" that come in the
pots of clematises). I'm hoping that it takes off, because the big
violet blooms will really make this thing look striking, I think. I
think that the bottom part of CB will provide the cover that the roots
need.

On the left, you can see the new Belami planting. There are three
there, and I think that a good 6 foot "bush" of Belami will be pretty
striking in and of itself, plus, it will give me dozens and dozens of
blooms. I can see you thinking, "*Great*, a 6 foot bush of dozens of
pink HTs...well, at least they smell great..."

Boy, am I vebose this morning...

Old 15-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Cass

dave weil wrote:

Sombreuil has been an underperformer for me (mainly due to the lack of
afternoon sun I think) but that works well for its location, which is
fairly limited in size anyway.

I like mine okay except for the fact that it ages so ugly. I love the
blushy center. But I am not really attracted to roses with 9,000 itsy
bitsy petals. It is a lot more shallow-cupped than I had thought it
would be.

My problem with Sombreuil stems from the fact that it was a spindly
little thing when I got it (part of the reason that I don't order from
Vintage Gardens any more). It's done surprisingly well in its third
season, and, as I've said, it's probably for the best, although I hope
to eventually create a wall of rose on the porch. I've got 10 foot
canes, but the ends aren't very vigorous.

I also have it own root from Vintage and so far, it is a 5 foot shrub.
You're way ahead if you have 10 foot cane. My budded Sombreuil tends
to throw relatively show basals but then continuing laterals that are
pretty long. I've heard that you should feed it a lot ("push it" is the
expression used).

a vigorous stand of mint.

We call this redundant. ;~)

I guess I'm disappointed that it hasn't been nearly as vigorous as CB,
which was planted at the same time. CB has been really amazing in
terms of coverage. Here's a recent pic:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/CBJune10.jpg

If you want a tree climber, how about a rambler mixed in there with a
rebloomer? Long John Silver throws 12 to 16 foot canes the first
summer. Ahh, myrrh scent, white white blooms with tons of petals, in
clusters.

Here's a cluster from a distance with a visitor posing:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...knLongJohn.jpg

Here's a bunch stuffed in a vase of other other once bloomers:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ges/Oncers.jpg

Closeup actually in focus, unlike the others:

http://www.rosefog.us/imagesJtoZ/LongJohnSilver2.jpg

It's a species hybrid, so it should be hardy for you.
Old 15-06-2003, 07:44 PM
dave weil

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:33:13 -0700, Cass
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

[...]

Really disappointing, eh? Have you had better luck with other Vintage
Garden roses?

You're way ahead if you have 10 foot cane. My budded Sombreuil tends
to throw relatively show basals but then continuing laterals that are
pretty long. I've heard that you should feed it a lot ("push it" is the
expression used).

So far, laterals have been pretty anemic. However, I've noticed a
second one that's popped up that I just noticed.

a vigorous stand of mint.

We call this redundant. ;~)

Yes, I suppose so.

I guess I'm disappointed that it hasn't been nearly as vigorous as CB,
which was planted at the same time. CB has been really amazing in
terms of coverage. Here's a recent pic:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/CBJune10.jpg

If you want a tree climber, how about a rambler mixed in there with a
rebloomer? Long John Silver throws 12 to 16 foot canes the first
summer. Ahh, myrrh scent, white white blooms with tons of petals, in
clusters.

Here's a cluster from a distance with a visitor posing:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...knLongJohn.jpg

Here's a bunch stuffed in a vase of other other once bloomers:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ges/Oncers.jpg

Closeup actually in focus, unlike the others:

http://www.rosefog.us/imagesJtoZ/LongJohnSilver2.jpg

It's a species hybrid, so it should be hardy for you.

I created a new gallery that shows Sombreuil. It's a huge gallery
because I used most of my June 2003 Week 2 folder and I was too lazy
to prune it (just like my gardening skills. You'll see lots of
redundent images and some wildy differing exposures, because none of
the shots without dedicated names, i.e. Yard001, etc. have been
tweaked in any way.

To go to the Sombreuil shots, jump to #192 and keep going. You'll see
the growth habits, to include the rather weenie ends, ends that sort
of taper off into nothingness.

Also, you see in contrast, how vigorous Old Blush and The Fairy
climbers are. On 198, you can see the 9 foot cane arching to the sky,
and it's only one of about 8 5ft + new canes. The Fairy also has lots
of new vigorous canes.

If you go through the entire gallery, you can see what the gardens
have looked like in the past week. As I said, there are a few
redundent shots, so be patient. Of course, to fit the shots on my web
site, I had to reduce the size. Also, there may be a few shots that
were shot with portrait orientation and need to be rotated, but I
don't have time to go through, so you'll likely see a few sideways
shots.

....a few minutes later...

Well, I *was* going to post this gallery, but unfortunately it's about
260 megs, even having downsized the pics groan

Guess I'm going to have to do some pruning.

Then again, can I zip it down and still have it display properly?
Anyone have any tactics about this sort of thing?
Old 15-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Cass

wrote:

dave weil wrote:

[...]

All kinds of luck, good and bad. I don't think it has anything to do
with coming from Vintage Gardens. Sombreuil aka Colonial White is slow
to grow on it's own roots. Could be my soils, could be lack of sun,
poor water, any number of things. I have roses that are 24 inches here
that grow to 4 x 6 in Gregg Lowry's home garden.

[...]

Do you have photoshop or Photoshop elements? You can batch process them
using automation tool and chop everything down to 400 x 600 pixels? Or
make a web photo gallery and specify large image size and then upload
the html and folders? Photoshop Elements also makes pdf slide
shows...tho I don't know how to set up pdf for web access. Probably
have to buy Acrobat (horrors).