Old 11-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default BZT update

The stuff is incidious. I thought mine had gone away, but its BAAAAACk! Not
as bad as earlier this year when the liner actually got bare in places, but
enough to be floating in the water. The first time I got it was a few years
ago; it skippped last year. There would be "islands" of algae that floated
up to the surface from the bottom during the day when the water was warm. At
night, it sunk back down as the water cooled. It clogged up everything. This
year, when it returned, the "islands" weren't as large, they were smaller;
sometimes the alage would clump, sometimes it was just suspended in the
water column. When I net it out, it looks like the tiny pieces of broccoli
that break off when you steam it, the individual flowers. When it's in the
skimmer filters, it's a very dark green, almost black clump of gunk. UV has
no affect on it. It's not the "pea soup" algae. I don't know what it is. And
I can't make it go away.

Lee

"ann in houston" wrote in message
om...
"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message

Cathy, your algae problem is the same (I think) one that I had/have. It

took
6 weeks for the first bout to clear up, then for some reason or other,

it
started again, albeit less seriously.

Do you have a skimmer? That's the only way I can see to get rid of the
stuff. You need to catch the stuff while it's floating and get rid of

it,
o'wise it sinks back down, decays, and feeds the next bloom. I have to

clean
my skimmer nets 2X a day when it's like this. If you can't skim the

stuff
off, I can't see how to get rid of it. Bummer.

Lee

After a good filter cleaning, my water is murky after you get down a
few inches, and the rising scummy algea takes a few days after that to
start coming up. Does that make sense? We had supended bits of
broken up aglea not long ago, after we dropped the water level and
vacuumed the bottom. We also ran the pumps with the water level down,
so that there was less volume to filter. After we refilled the pond,
it was much clearer, but had the shredded algea that I suspect was the
clumpy stuff, but broken up into fine bits. The quilt batting took
care of that. I'm going to put in some more of the batting and see if
it helps keep the stuff from rising again. We only cleaned the
filters yesterday.
Ann