Old 12-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Harold Arnold

Default Questions concerning Koi?

Also there are three fish much larger showing koi characteristics. By koi
characteristics I mean they are much larger in the 7 to over 10-inch range
and have the fleshy antenna like appendages growing from the lower lip.

One of these, the largest has interesting blue gray color patterns. I began
to notice this fish a year ago. At that time it was about 5 inches and a
solid dark almost black color that seemed to reflect a blueish sheen. Within
a few weeks sections began to lighten until there were alternate sections of
light blue/gray and dark almost black. This is the way it appears today
except the fore section of its head this year is more a blond (pearl) color
than blue.

Another 9-inch fish with the lower lip appendages is still mostly black with
sprinkled patterns of orange color around its head area that give an
interest suggestion of metallic gold against a black velvet background. A
third fish 8-inch fish with the lip appendages is a solid lemon yellow
color. And also there are several additional 4 to 6 inch dark colored fish
that have not yet changed color and I cannot tell for sure it they have the
lower lip appendages.

I would appreciate answers and comment to the following questions: (1) Is
the fleshy lower lip appendages a certain indication that they are koi? (2)
Do gold fish and koi inter-breed to produce hybrid offspring? (3) I note
that the fleshy lower lip appendages on these fish while quite noticeable
are not as prominent as some I he seen on large koi; does this suggest that
these fish are a koi/goldfish hybrid? (4) Generally how big (how old) are
koi when they begin the change to their adult color? And (5) is the
alternate light blue/gray color pattern I described above unusual?

Note: pictures of this pond (but not the fish described) are on my web page
at: http://lonestar.texas.net/~hhullar5/...&%20Gazebo.htm
--
Harold Arnold
http://lonestar.texas.net/~hhullar5 (Home Page)