Old 12-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Harold Arnold

Default Questions concerning Koi?

Also there are three fish much larger showing koi characteristics. By koi
characteristics I mean they are much larger in the 7 to over 10-inch range
and have the fleshy antenna like appendages growing from the lower lip.

One of these, the largest has interesting blue gray color patterns. I began
to notice this fish a year ago. At that time it was about 5 inches and a
solid dark almost black color that seemed to reflect a blueish sheen. Within
a few weeks sections began to lighten until there were alternate sections of
light blue/gray and dark almost black. This is the way it appears today
except the fore section of its head this year is more a blond (pearl) color
than blue.

Another 9-inch fish with the lower lip appendages is still mostly black with
sprinkled patterns of orange color around its head area that give an
interest suggestion of metallic gold against a black velvet background. A
third fish 8-inch fish with the lip appendages is a solid lemon yellow
color. And also there are several additional 4 to 6 inch dark colored fish
that have not yet changed color and I cannot tell for sure it they have the
lower lip appendages.

I would appreciate answers and comment to the following questions: (1) Is
the fleshy lower lip appendages a certain indication that they are koi? (2)
Do gold fish and koi inter-breed to produce hybrid offspring? (3) I note
that the fleshy lower lip appendages on these fish while quite noticeable
are not as prominent as some I he seen on large koi; does this suggest that
these fish are a koi/goldfish hybrid? (4) Generally how big (how old) are
koi when they begin the change to their adult color? And (5) is the
alternate light blue/gray color pattern I described above unusual?

Note: pictures of this pond (but not the fish described) are on my web page
at: http://lonestar.texas.net/~hhullar5/...&%20Gazebo.htm
--
Harold Arnold
http://lonestar.texas.net/~hhullar5 (Home Page)

Old 12-06-2003, 01:44 AM
RichToyBox

Harold,

(2) Yes. The offspring are mules, that is sterile.
Do gold fish and koi inter-breed to produce hybrid offspring?

(4) They should be showing some of the potential color within a couple of
months, but they will change several times, adding color, losing color, etc.
through the first couple of years. The full color may come up quickly, but
if it does, then it will fade quickly, or it may take years to come up to
full brilliance.

(5) see http://www.gerchen.de/hobbykoi/asagi.htm