Old 12-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Dwayne

Default How to mulch an asparagus bed

I don't mulch mine. I just go out every couple of days and pick what few
weeds come up. Paper and anything else that keeps weeds from coming
through, will keep new sprouts from coming up. Building a raised bed and
putting in clean dirt will help keep most of the weeds out.

Dwayne

"Stuart Pedazzo" wrote in message
I have started an asparagus bed and it is coming along nicely. But
since the new stalks are growing around the original crown I am
wondering what is the proper way to mulch around them to keep the
weeds out. I normally use a few layers of newspaper covered with
straw. Will this prevent future stalks from coming through?

Sincerely,

Stuart Pedazzo...but you can call me Stu!