Old 12-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Stuart Pedazzo

Default How to mulch an asparagus bed

I have started an asparagus bed and it is coming along nicely. But
since the new stalks are growing around the original crown I am
wondering what is the proper way to mulch around them to keep the
weeds out. I normally use a few layers of newspaper covered with
straw. Will this prevent future stalks from coming through?

Sincerely,

Stuart Pedazzo...but you can call me Stu!
Old 12-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Dwayne

I don't mulch mine. I just go out every couple of days and pick what few
weeds come up. Paper and anything else that keeps weeds from coming
through, will keep new sprouts from coming up. Building a raised bed and
putting in clean dirt will help keep most of the weeds out.

Dwayne

Old 12-06-2003, 01:32 PM
WCD

SugarChile wrote:
I use straw, without the newspaper. I don't know how proper it is, but it
works.

And the new sprouts are able to make their way up through the straw alright?

Old 12-06-2003, 07:45 PM
SugarChile

Yep, no problem. Sometimes I see a bit of a straw tent, where one is
emerging, and I push the straw aside to give it a hand, but I think that's
more for the enjoyment of puttering around than it is a necessity. The
sprouts are pretty vigorous. If yours are first year plants you may want to
keep an eye on them, but odds are they'll be just fine.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA