Old 12-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Jan Flora

Default where do you use bone meal?

We are relying on the news reporting services of the world to tell us
what's going on. CNN has a report about the BSE cow in Alberta today,
but my FIL would NOT shut up long enough for me to listen to it.

It doesn't take 120 days to look at the brain and figure out if the animal
had BSE. (I'm a rancher. Go bullshit the troops, son.)

Is Canada routinely examining the brain of every cow they kill? The US
certainly doesn't. Only suspected cases are examined.

Jan

In article , "Andrew Ostrander"
wrote:

Both your postings are inaccurate and unfair.
The dead cow apparently had pneumonia when it was killed.
There was no indication of BSE at that time.
The brain was eventually examined, and after abnormalities were
found there, the investigation and reporting proceeded as fast as they
would in the USA.

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from (Jan Flora) contains these words:

That's what I'm afraid of. They found that BSE cow in Alberta in January

and
took 90 days to report it to the world. This worries us...

Quite; you'd hardly think anyone could be so stupid after watching
what happened in the UK.

I looked di-cal up on the web. It's made from degreased, crushed cow

bones.

Sounds like the kind of delicacy that used to be included in animal
feeds :-(

How do you crush your seashells??

I let the sea/rocks do that and just collect it from the beach ready

made.

I failed to gather any seaweed from our beaches this winter for my

garden.
It's amazing (to me) how much good stuff for a garden can come from the

sea.

Me too; you should see our potatoes this year, grown in/on/under
seaweed. Since moving here we've spent many happy hours beach walking
and salvaging all kinds of useful washed-up junk from fish baskets to
lengths of rope. John found a fleece hat which he wears :-(, and the dog
has found three balls and a plastic duck which she plays with all the
time.

The nearest shop is right beside the beach so when I pick up the milk
and paper I collect a few nice stones in my pockets. The rest of the
trip is spent calculating how many years/pocketsfull it will take to
make pebble paths round the veg garden.

Janet.