Old 12-06-2003, 06:30 AM
steetsel

Default Small Pond Question

First, I'd like to thank those of you who share/post pictures of your ponds!
Some great designs and lots of hard work!

I just bought a house a few months ago that had a pond. The pond was put in
last year, but not done right. The sides and bottom were lined with
hundreds of large river rocks, there was no filter or pump in place. So, it
was literally a giant bowl of stagnant water. Yuck! We basically took it
apart and put in a small, pre-formed pond (about 100 gallons). I have a
pump for it that provides a fountain and/or waterfall.

Anyways, my question is this - right after filling it, we got a bunch of
dirt blown into the pond (we have dirt around the pond now, which will soon
be used to plant flowers, etc), which has accumulated on the bottom. Is
there anything I can use to easily remove the dirt? For this size pond (100
gallons), do I need a filter of some sort? The intake on my pump has a
"filter" that captures debris, but I don't think it is real efficient.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Scott