Old 12-06-2003, 06:44 AM
zookeeper

Default Yet another algae question...

Fred, it may mean that you have a nutrient level that is too high,
causing the algae to grow faster than the plants. You can add more
plants or change out some water, decrease or stop feeding, remove some
fish (if you have too high a load), decrease sunlight, etc. You can use
many of the same types for reducing pea soup algae as for string algae.

With string algae, you can also twirl in around a stick and remove
"globs" of it that way. You can probably pull it off the hyacinth roots
as well so it doesn't cause the roots to float to the surface. As long
as the leaves get sunshine, the plants will be fine.

If I were you, I would stop feeding the fish for now. All goldfish and
koi (carp) can survive for months without supplemental food. They are
constantly eating algae, bugs, larvae and some plants. They will do just
fine without extras until you can get the algae down a bit.

Do you have any underwater plants (anacharis, hornwort, etc.)? They will
"soak" up a lot of nutrients from the water, or add several bunches of
watercress (from produce section at grocery store). Don't plant the
anacharis or watercress, just float in the pond or place in shallow pots
with gravel to anchor it in place. Watercress would be a "marginal"
plant, but the anacharis / hornwort is submerged. HTH
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond pigs

Fred wrote:
... My question, though, involves
the floating roots. Is this typical behavior with algae and floaters, or is
it a sign that the pond may be choking?

On 6/11/03 7:29 AM, in article ,
"Sam Hopkins" wrote:

Algae is only bad if it's in such a large concentration that it
risks starving your fish of oxygen at night or if it risks killing plants
because it engulfs them and prevents them from photosynthesizing ...

"Fred" wrote in message

However, my floater roots and to some extent my anacharis get covered with
"stuff", including string algae, that causes them to float to the surface.
That is, the roots of the hyacinth are often splayed out and floating ...