Old 12-06-2003, 02:32 PM
lms

Default Question about pruning roses

In article ,
says...

Well, I cheated. It's a climbing Fairy, of course. I had a rosarian
over to the house last week taking that possible white sport that I
recently posted about and she said she didn't even know that there was
a climbing sport of Fairy. And she said she asked several people at a
recent Birmingham (maybe) show and none of *them* had ever heard of
one either. So, I guess this plant isn't as widely known as I assumed
that it was.

I've heard of it. One of our kitties died a few years back and I buried her,
and I think later that same day--it was winter--I was at the hardware store
and saw this totally bedraggled The Fairy overwintering in a pot outside,
you know the kind, so I planted that thing as a memorial right where the
digging had become easy? So it came spring and The Fairy forgot all about its
little pot prison.

I've been watching this one cane of a rose I grow for quite some time--
the rose is Vigilance, it's a white sport of Jeanne LaJoie, a much-heralded
climbing pink mini. It grows very much differently from J LaJ, at least
here, it's a mounder instead of a climber.
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/clvig8x6.jpg
You can see the cane I'm talking about, it's real obvious. I just don't know
what to make of it and I'm lazy too, basically. If it is, it is, and cool.

Well, you yourself talked about big/catalog appeal being important in
the scheme of things. Frankly, there's big (when it comes to blooms -
probably important in a lot of peoples minds) and big when it comes to
plant structure (hardly important in an HT - when was the last time
you saw a picture of a 10 ft + HT with little foliage and no blooms in
a catalog).

their biz is, of course cash, and mine's strictly entertainment. granted,
few people would call it idyllic, but then, few people would also tell me
how ugly it is, even if it is, right? when you said that, I thought somebody
had hit the rewind button. and yadda yadda yadda.

an interesting little development today. My longest longtime bud, the best
man at both my weddings, Mr. Wargames, has ended up in Seattle, where he is
from, and the house he bought has about 30 rose bushes. A few weeks back he
told me how jazzed he was at this. (He's been here many times, knows about
the jungle) Well today guess what, he sent me a pic of Mr. Lincoln. I'll
withhold my comments on his pic cause he might someday get wind of rgr
but in any case, suffice it to say he was pumped about it.
Also sent me a pic of this 'white' rose, which he has already evidently dug
up and relegated to the back yard--didn't know what it was but I'm pretty sure
it was Margaret Merrill. Now *those were very pretty. Reminded me of this
thread, almost to a T.
So I gave him the link for the Mr. Lincoln and without so much as saying a
word about it, I told him to write me back and tell me what his reaction was to
this pic. I'll let you know. hahahahaha
I looked at it again btw. From about 5 feet up it's got plenty of those
earliest of early red red leaves. So basically, I'd say that was just about
the right amount of nakedness and in perfect proportion to the rest of the
plant. heheh

For me, big would be important in a bush-type rose, but of little
significance in an HT. I have a plant that combines the both of both
worlds though, and that's Aloha. It definitely doesn't have an HT
appearance in the bush form that it takes in my yard.

Aloha's an unusual bird--most non-sport climbers are called Large Flowered
Climbers, but that one's classified a Climbing HT. Never grown it.

Frankly, I don't really care all that much for HTs in general, other
than the fact that I have a few varieties that make good arrangements
in vases and are eye-catchers when in bloom. Otherwise, I think that
most of the time, they're pretty ugly plants. I much prefer things
that have more visual interest in addition to the blooms, i.e.
structure and foliage.

yo tambien. and visual interest, well I still most definitely think Mr.
Lincoln as I know it, qualifies. Very few things about the plantation here
are orthodox.

I thought that dissing a whole class of "follow-on" Peaces was pretty
ascerbic. Ballistic? Almost. The followup to my post certainly was
borderline ballistic.

ok, sorry. Dave, I've been through the Peace thing a few times. Would you
care to speculate on the Commemorative Rose for the war just 'ended'?
What the hell are we going to call a rose named after an indefinite period?
I just think of these J$P guys rubbing their hands together every time they
bring out the F-117s.
I'm not so enthralled with Peace that I don't see wasted dastardly examples but
I see that with just about all roses.
Old Garden Roses, for the most part, and for some reason, do not have this
propensity to sway so far either way from the average blossom.

I think it's weird that you freak out over the name of a plant that
has just as good of structure *and* more vivid colors than your two
favorite Peace plants. You rave over the variation in colors in Peace
and yet it can't hold a candle to the variations and depth of color
that Desert Peace offers. And Chicago Peace only comes close, from the
fictures I've seen.

fictures, I like it. And I don't disbelieve you.

I liked it too when I saw it.

usage doth a word make, it's getting used.

Maybe you need to embrace your feminine side.

I embrace my feminine side plenty enough, I'm growing five clitoria this
season.

You might try interacting with them.

They're not big enough yet.

That's why you have to interact with them. They get bigger that way.

Looked at them yesterday. They're growing.

I don't know how you make this leap. But, for the record, I now get
that you were talking tongue in cheek. I *really* didn't know that,
since most of the bushes that you've posted here don't resemble that
in the least. And since you seem opposed to regular shape in roses, I
thought that you might have thought of that as a pruned big yew with
blooms.

I have a yew tree, same size as Sunsprite, they're basically twins, nope, no
confusion.

Can't tell if you take my point.

I don't know which kinda yew tree you're talking about. I have the one that
looks like a succulent from the ground up to about 7 feet now, the thought
of a pruned one of these is like totally foreign to my brain.
but no, absolutely not, that's what roses are supposed to do--right now there
are 2 hundred foot double-rowed walls and 1 50 foot wall of roses, solid gd
roses, and growing together most dangerously. If I don't do something soon,
there's going to be this 100 fffoot wall with one weird side that's 40 or 50
feet wide. A battle to the death, take no quarter, that's what it seems
they're doing.
I don't have many roses that are lucky enough to stand alone, full-sun like
that. Cl. Cecile Brunner's one. Huge mound, solid blooms. I guess I
could count the Raz Ice, Nevada, Foetida Bicolor, Dortmund, and Carefree
Wonder mound as kinda like that. In any case that one's where I've always
lived, here. One of these units, Nevada, was once an ARS Rose of the Month.
Never mind that someone was in a bind and needed something quick, but just the
same...
That person's actually been to the house. stayed in Socorro overnight.
Hasn't been here lately though. A tree freak might like the evolution since
then but I have mixed feelings about things which affect about half the gd
roses. Even though I'm a tree freak. Hell I have a sugar maple on the north
side of the house, shoots straight up bout 30 feet now. Had 2 Crimson King
Maples at different times, you simply wouldn't believe what the sun did to
those leaves. Stunning, that spring red, but man, pure torture after that.
Have all the common fruit trees. My fave tree is the Dawn Redwood, it's on its
way.

what would johnny cochran say?

Who's "Johnny" Cochran?

hahaha. oman. he was oj's lawyer. oj simpson. heheh.

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend by using the word "dealing".

Heck, I'm just a novice when it comes to roses. My garden's only in
its 3rd year. Coincidentally, that's when I bought my house. If it
weren't for the big 40 year old Aloha bush in the front yard, I might
not be have become enamored with roses.

I have a 40 year old rose, actually 42, Girl Scout. It was born and bred
a runt and it's a runt today. Besides the one that came from this one and is
now growing in the world's greatest Rose Garden, it's the only known specimen
in the world, although I'm positive it's still growing somewhere, and probably
even lots of places, but the odds of it remaining anonymous are growing greater
daily. If someone out there is still growing this rose, they have never been
on a computer. I get several mails each spring from Girl Scout leaders
and former Girl Scouts looking for this rose. One of em told me they had
a big group of Girl Scout Rosers, and they be doing the network thing looking
for this rose, and to no avail.
It's so surprising, almost unconscienable, that the Girl Scouts of America
allowed this rose to just disappear. My mom was a Girl Scout leader, got this
rose from The Troops. heheh. 1961.
guess that'll do it for this one, man.

oh, almost forgot. you gave me a list of busted links, thanks for that.
the problem is, the list of pics (from which pic to which pic) haven't existed
on the page for quite some time.
Someone else recently sent me a mail describing the same problem.
Anyone knows what causes this? I'm going to have to ask around today.