Old 12-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Pam Moore

Default Clematis drive me crazy

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:02:36 +0100, "Janice" wrote:

Once again my clematis have keeled over with wilt. They really are the most
exasperating plants; they're like delicate Victorian ladies fainting at the
merest suggestion of something unpleasant. Every year I vow to dig 'em all
up, chuck them in the bin and replace them with something less pernickety.

Don't dig them up too soon.
I had one of the early flowerers appear quite dead the whole of its
first year (planted the year before). I just left it but assumed it
was a goner. The next year it came up and flowered. I also thought
Etoille Violette was dead last year but it sent up new shoots from the
ground and now it has just started flowering.
I don't know the reason. Are the roots shady and well-watered?
Otherwise talk to them!!

Pam in Bristol