Old 12-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Janice

Default Clematis drive me crazy

Once again my clematis have keeled over with wilt. They really are the most
exasperating plants; they're like delicate Victorian ladies fainting at the
merest suggestion of something unpleasant. Every year I vow to dig 'em all
up, chuck them in the bin and replace them with something less pernickety.

Everything started off grandly - my Etoile Viollette put out a flower or
two, and Dr Ruppell, Nelly Moser and Josephine were looking ever so pretty,
but overnight Josephine and Etiole Violette were overcome and are now lying
down, limp and prostrate.

Other than the montana types, are there any clematis that are strong and
robust?

Old 12-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Janice" writes:

| Other than the montana types, are there any clematis that are strong and
| robust?

Yes - in terms of robustness, they fall into three classes:

1) The large-flowered 'Jackmannii' hybrids and similar.
2) The moderately large-flowered garden varieties of other
types, some borderline hardy species and so on.
3) Almost all hardy species and small-flowered hybrids.

In category (3), you can include C. tangutica (orientalis),
C. alpina, C. vitalba, C. x jouiniana (I think) and so on. Most
of them are as tough as old boots, given even half reasonable
conditions (e.g. not solid clay).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:02:36 +0100, "Janice" wrote:

Once again my clematis have keeled over with wilt. They really are the most
exasperating plants; they're like delicate Victorian ladies fainting at the
merest suggestion of something unpleasant. Every year I vow to dig 'em all
up, chuck them in the bin and replace them with something less pernickety.

Don't dig them up too soon.
I had one of the early flowerers appear quite dead the whole of its
first year (planted the year before). I just left it but assumed it
was a goner. The next year it came up and flowered. I also thought
Etoille Violette was dead last year but it sent up new shoots from the
ground and now it has just started flowering.
I don't know the reason. Are the roots shady and well-watered?
Otherwise talk to them!!

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-06-2003, 06:21 PM
bnd777

Be sure to plant Clematis at least 6 inches below ground in a moist spot
roots in the shade under a piece of paving
heads in the sun
When flowering they need lots of water
before flowering they need feeding
Mine do best in very large tubs

Old 13-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Zizz

"Janice" wrote in message
Once again my clematis have keeled over with wilt. They really are the

most
exasperating plants; they're like delicate Victorian ladies fainting at

the
merest suggestion of something unpleasant. Every year I vow to dig 'em

all
up, chuck them in the bin and replace them with something less pernickety.

Everything started off grandly - my Etoile Viollette put out a flower or
two, and Dr Ruppell, Nelly Moser and Josephine were looking ever so

pretty,
but overnight Josephine and Etiole Violette were overcome and are now

lying
down, limp and prostrate.

Other than the montana types, are there any clematis that are strong and
robust?

I'm wondering if the ones that were bought were the 4ftish size as my mums
had problems with wilt on those size clematis .... maybe they weren't kept
well at the nursery?
Most (all but three) of my clematis were only 4 inches tall when bought and
all of that size are doing fine!

Old 13-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Zizz wrote:

I'm wondering if the ones that were bought were the 4ftish size as my mums
had problems with wilt on those size clematis .... maybe they weren't kept
well at the nursery?
Most (all but three) of my clematis were only 4 inches tall when bought and
all of that size are doing fine!

That makes little difference. At this time of year, 4' of growth is
only a week or two. I don't know whether the various 'wilt' diseases
can remain dormant on a plant for a long time before showing up, so
can't guess if the nursery could be the cause.

However, the MAIN factor is that it is the large-flowered hybrids
that are the most susceptible and the species that are least so.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Janice

"Zizz" wrote in message
I'm wondering if the ones that were bought were the 4ftish size as my mums
had problems with wilt on those size clematis .... maybe they weren't kept
well at the nursery?

Yes, they were about that size, but each bought from different places. This
is their 2nd or 3rd year in my garden; each year they've succumbed to wilt.
I've planted them deep, fed and watered them, covered their roots with a
tile (a frog is living happily under one tile), and I talk to them daily,
but they still swoon easily. Not all the clematis in my garden are ill, so
I think it's just the large-flowered variety that are the problem.

I'm going shopping today to see what's available in the viticella types -
perhaps I'll have more luck with them.

Old 13-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:39:31 +0100, "Janice" wrote:

Not all the clematis in my garden are ill, so
I think it's just the large-flowered variety that are the problem.

I'm going shopping today to see what's available in the viticella types -

But, Janice, Etoille Violette is a Viticella and you said it had
"fainted" (!)

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Janice

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:39:31 +0100, "Janice" wrote:
But, Janice, Etoille Violette is a Viticella and you said it had
"fainted" (!)

Yes, I know. It's a mystery. It put out very early flowers, so I'm
wondering if, when it realised that, it gave it a fright and it swooned!

I've planted a passionflower right next to it, to take its place. So it
will either enjoy the company or will get jealous - either way it might perk
it up a bit!

Oh well, there's always next year....

Regards

Old 13-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Zizz wrote:

That makes little difference. At this time of year, 4' of growth is
only a week or two. I don't know whether the various 'wilt' diseases
can remain dormant on a plant for a long time before showing up, so
can't guess if the nursery could be the cause.

However, the MAIN factor is that it is the large-flowered hybrids
that are the most susceptible and the species that are least so.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The OP said one of the plants was Etoile Violette, since that is just about
the most wilt resistant variety known, I suspect that the cause is too small
a root system for the size of the plant, plants react by ditching one or
more stems and try again later. It always pays to place a watering tube in
the planting hole and ensure regular watering during the first summer, this
applies whether or not the season seems a wet one. On dry sites or ones with
poor soil it pays to grow plants on for a year in a 7.5lt pot and plant out
a much bigger root system the following year.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| The OP said one of the plants was Etoile Violette, since that is just about
| the most wilt resistant variety known, I suspect that the cause is too small
| a root system for the size of the plant, plants react by ditching one or
| more stems and try again later. It always pays to place a watering tube in
| the planting hole and ensure regular watering during the first summer, this
| applies whether or not the season seems a wet one. On dry sites or ones with
| poor soil it pays to grow plants on for a year in a 7.5lt pot and plant out
| a much bigger root system the following year.

Could be. I have lost some large-flowered clematis, both temporarily
and permanently, due to things that had similar symptoms to wilt, but
have been told probably wasn't. That is why I put 'wilt' in quotes;
I certainly can't tell 'true' Clematis wilt from a fungal infection
of the roots!

I have never had trouble with species (or viticella, actually),
except that I couldn't persuade C. cirrhosa to thrive - but it
never dropped a stem. I eventually scrapped it as a dead loss.

My point was more about the overall robustness of the species
versus the large-flowered hybrids.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-06-2003, 12:08 PM
PETER DONOVAN

I have two healthy clematis plants a few years old I have covered the roots
to keep them cool ect. I do not know what type they are .Problem plenty of
growth and leaves but no flowers please help as the neibour from hell next
door has masses of blooms and hers is stuck in an old pot
Peter

Old 16-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Charlie Pridham

"PETER DONOVAN" wrote in message
I have two healthy clematis plants a few years old I have covered the

roots
to keep them cool ect. I do not know what type they are .Problem plenty

of
growth and leaves but no flowers please help as the neibour from hell next
door has masses of blooms and hers is stuck in an old pot
Peter

Unless you give some clue as to what clematis they are I am afraid I can't
help, depending on variety clematis can be in flower any of the 12 months of
the year so if yours are winter flowering it would not be surprising they
were not flowering ! :~)

Old 16-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

"PETER DONOVAN" wrote in message
I have two healthy clematis plants a few years old I have covered the

roots
to keep them cool ect. I do not know what type they are .Problem plenty

of
growth and leaves but no flowers please help as the neibour from hell next
door has masses of blooms and hers is stuck in an old pot

Unless you give some clue as to what clematis they are I am afraid I can't
help, depending on variety clematis can be in flower any of the 12 months of
the year so if yours are winter flowering it would not be surprising they
were not flowering ! :~)

Maybe with you! Here it is only about 9 months of the year. Not
that the difference is relevant to your point :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.