Old 12-06-2003, 07:45 PM
Alan Gould

Default Marshalls' experimental tomatoes

In article , Jonathan Ward
writes

Does bush mean determinate?

According to the glossary in RHS Enc. of Gardening:

Determinate.
1) Used of inflorescences where the central or terminal flower opens
first so that the main axis cannot extend further. (Cf Cyme)
2) Used of bushy or dwarf tomatoes (Cf.indeterminate; semi-determinate)

Indeterminate.
1) Used of an inflorescence not terminated by a single flower, in which
the primary axis (stem) continues to develop as the flowers open (e.g. a
raceme as in delphiniums.
2) Used of tall or cordon tomatoes, which, in a suitable climate can
grow to an indefinite length (Cf. determinate; semi-determinate)

From that, my simple mind tell me that indeterminate tomatoes are ones
which do not have their side-shoots or top stem removed (i.e. they are
bush grown; semi-determinates have side-shoots but not top stem removed
(i.e.cordons); determinates have both side-shoots and top stem removed
(which is how I grow our tomatoes indoors). I stand to be better
informed however, if anyone knows.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.